Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Programs wont open up windows files  (Read 5063 times)

DougDunning

Programs wont open up windows files
« on: November 24, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »
Okay. I'm familiar enough to know what not to screw with "most" of the time but I may have done something this time.lol
I use an emulator for genesis games(Example of over all issue) and when I got to open the roms up it simply restarts the program.
Windows programs work just fine, but things like facebook or other external programs wont do it. You know, like when you hcnage your profile picture FB will give you the "browse" option, but if I click that I get nothing. That's what happens with all programs not built into windows. This is rather irritating. Help me please!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Programs wont open up windows files
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »
Welcome!
Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

After reading our post, it it not clear what your are doing.
...facebook or other external programs ...
Do you mean programs that run from a web server? Such programs require plug-ins or other support for the browser your are using. Often either Java of Flash.

I use an emulator for genesis games...
You mean you run Genesis ROMS?
Genesis ROMS
www.freeroms.com/genesis.htm
In order to play these Genesis games, you must first download an Genesis emulator, which is used to load the Genesis ROMS (games). ..

That should have nothing to do with Facebook.

BTW, use of emulators to bypass copyright and EULA issues is not supported by this forum.  The idea is called 'Warez' and is prohibited in the rules of this forum. For good reason.
Warez refers primarily to copyrighted works distributed without fees or royalties, and may be traded, in general violation of copyright law. The term generally refers to unauthorized releases by organized groups, as opposed to file sharing between friends or large groups of people with similar interest using a darknet. It usually does not refer to commercial software counterfeiting. This term was initially coined by members of the various computer underground circles, but has since become commonplace among Internet users and ...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So don't expect any help with your problem. Please come back when you have something we can do.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:20:48 PM »
Just please explain your problem in more detail. It's a little unclear what you're talking about.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:28:29 PM »
And emulators aren't strictly used for those methods Geek...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
BTW, use of emulators to bypass copyright and EULA issues is not supported by this forum.  The idea is called 'Warez' and is prohibited in the rules of this forum. For good reason.From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaSo don't expect any help with your problem. Please come back when you have something we can do.

The Genesis game platform is the name given to the 1988 Sega Mega Drive and its derivatives. The console and its games continue to be popular among fans, collectors, retro gamers, emulation enthusiasts and the fan translation scene. There is no indication whatsoever that the OP is doing anything illegal. So maybe you should masure your words more carefully in future? (What's with the Geek? He's getting even more erratic than I thought possible.) By the way that's not what "Warez" is.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 05:42:53 PM »
run

Code: [Select]
sfc /scannow

Also, their use of an Emulation program is irrelevant, since they aren't asking for help with that Emulation Program, just using it as an example of an Application that isn't working.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
The SFC is for Windows System files.
Code: [Select]
sfc /scannowHe says all non-windows programs do not work right. That is hard to understand.

Hey, OP, if you are still there? Did your applications one day stop working? Or did the never work right from the time you installed them on your new build? This is a home-built?

Can you run the new version of FireFox?

Try installing an application again from the original CD and see if it works right. When you make repairs to the system, some applications programs get um-plugged.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »
I think this is one time where it's not the OP thats confused here....

That is rare.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 07:53:16 PM »
He says all non-windows programs do not work right. That is hard to understand.

All applications that aren't part of windows. The emulator is a windows app. So is whatever browser they are using.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.