Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: automatic user log in  (Read 2825 times)

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    automatic user log in
    « on: November 26, 2011, 01:11:24 PM »
    I am running Windows 7 home Premium. In an attempt to get administrative privileges, I created a new account thinking  I could log on using it . Previously I had had an automatic log on of my user account, no pw or user name. After this change and trying for an hour to figure it out I decided to go back to my old user log in.
    I followed the steps here

http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery.com/automatically-log-on-windows-7.htm

but when I log on now I get a message telling me I have the wrong pw and then giving me a user account with the pw box . I can click though without entering a password and it will take me to my old user account. How can I fix this so I bypass this loging and incorrect pw message?

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: automatic user log in
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 03:40:34 AM »
    Did you already read this?  :)
    How can I eliminate password in Windows 7
    They say you can not really eliminate it. Almost, but you still need it.

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:49:17 PM »
      yes I have tried this several time. The box is not checked that requires a password when I get there, so there is nothing to uncheck. The message I get when I boot up windows says I have the wrong password so somewhere it must think It needs a pw, very confusing

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:39 PM »
      Yes. You are not the first not grip about the  Windows 7 password policy. Here is one of the answers from Microsoft:
      Please try to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts, click Manager User Accounts; in the users list, select the particular user which you want to remove password, and try to reset the password with a blank password to check if it can work.
      Still, for some operations you need the password.  Here is a link that might offer some help. Or at least explain the problem
      Accessing Local Security Policy in Windows 7 Home Premium
      That link  is a forum discussion and does not provide a clear answer. For the moment, that is the best I can offer. If you decide to edit the registry, make a registry backup first.
      The link below is for Vista
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-password-policy-settings