Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot open OS X  (Read 5406 times)

macman

Cannot open OS X
« on: November 03, 2010, 02:59:02 PM »
My MacBook Pro was loading all programs slowly at times. I verified & repaired permissions. I verified the disk.  Tried to reload OS 10.6.  Install failed approximately half way through, repeatedly.  Could not eject disk. Shut down and restarted holding eject key down.  Disk ejected but now I ONLY get a manila folder with a flashing question mark in it.  What should I do?

ian124

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Cannot open OS X
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »
    I would replace the hard drive. You may still be able to get some data from your old drive depending how you reinstalled the OS

billiehawkins

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Cannot open OS X
      « Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:09 AM »
      Old post, i know, but --

First, you could try to repair the drive. When you insert the OS X installer CD, at the very beginning, there is a menu called Utilities. Open that and Run Disk Utility. You may be able to repair the drive enough to reinstall the OS. Be sure not to format or erase the drive.

If not, You can buy an external USB drive, install OS X on that, and boot from it. Once you are in OS X, you can run any number of utilities available online to rescue data from the problem drive. At the very least, you will be able to save your data.

I have had good luck with DiskWarrior in the past.