Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CDs & DVDs won't autoplay  (Read 4098 times)

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

CDs & DVDs won't autoplay
    « on: November 28, 2011, 02:31:57 AM »
    CDs & DVDs on my computer used to autoplay when you put them in.   However, none of them do any more.   I have applied the advice elsewhere on this website but they still don't autoplay.   Anyone any idea how to get them to play automatically?   The PC is an HP machine with Windows XP Professional loaded.

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: CDs & DVDs won't autoplay
      « Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:54:41 AM »
      I'm not sure if this is some of the advice you have found elsewhere, but have you tried:
      Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=2648

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »
        As suggested, have run the repair wizard and it said it had carried out the repair.   Have also run TweakUI, as per instructions elsewhere on this website.   Have associated file types with specific programs.   All to no avail - CDs run when manually started but they still don't autoplay.

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
          Try AutoPlayConfig
          AutoPlayConfig - Enable / Disable Autoplay on any Windows machine
          http://www.typhoonsoftware.com/autoplayconfig.htm

Also, do this:
          Start > Run > Services.msc
          Maximize the services Window
          Scroll down to: Removable Storage
          Double click on it
          Change the Startup type to Automatic
          Start it
          Scroll down to: Shell Hardware Detection
          Double click on it
          Change the Startup type to Automatic
          Start it
          Close Services Window

Start > in the Search box> gpedit.msc
          Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Autoplay Policies > Turn off Autoplay.
          To Enable: Change the value of Turn off Autoplay to Disabled

Test Autoplay again ! (you may need to restart first)

This may also be a program conflict
          Many programs such as disc imaging programs disable the autorun feature, or have it default to their program only (ie Nero, PowerISO, MagicISO)
          If you have such programs installed, then you may need to go through the programs settings, or possibly even uninstall them

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 12:52:18 PM »
            I went onto the typhoonsoftware website and tried clicking on both the 'Download as EXE' and the 'Download as ZIP'
            links but both just gave a screen advertising download movies, rather than actually downloading AutoPlayConfig.

I carried out the instructions relating to the Services Window.

However, when I searched on "gpedit.msc", the Search facility said "Nothing found in all locations for query "gpedit.msc".

Nero is installed.   However, even DVDs containing a Nero compatible film don't autoplay.   I can't see any settings
            in Nero to change the autoplay config.   I can't uninstall it, as Nero seems to be the only way we can burn videos to disc -
            the camcorder's software seems to be faulty in that respect.

One thing that is puzzling me is that some references on this and other websites say that CDs will only autoplay if there is
            an autorun.inf file in the root directory of the CD.   However, my music CDs don't have this - they just have .cda files, yet
            they all used to autorun.  Should music CDs not be able to autoplay?

If I have to manually run CDs and DVDs, it's not the end of the World - just a bit of an inconvenience which, if necessary,
            I can live with.

Your help is appreciated.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:12:21 PM »
            However, when I searched on "gpedit.msc", the Search facility said "Nothing found in all locations for query "gpedit.msc".

gpedit.msc is not available in XP Home edition, but should be present in XP Professional.

The usual way to run it is to go to the Start Menu, then the Run box, and type gpedit.msc and then click OK.

Can you verify that this does not work, and that this is your own not a work or school computer subject to restrictions put in place by a system administrator? (because frequently gpedit is disabled in such computers)

I would then do a virus check as this is one reason for sudden loss of gpedit.

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
              I went onto the typhoonsoftware website and tried clicking on both the 'Download as EXE' and the 'Download as ZIP'
              links but both just gave a screen advertising download movies, rather than actually downloading AutoPlayConfig.
              Apologies, I even tried their forum, but the program gave the same redirection even for me!
              Here is another link: http://uploading.com/files/ec29265e/AutoPlayConfig.zip/
              I have tested, no malware inside.

You may also try this one http://windowsxp.mvps.org/utils/cleanhandlers_2_4.zip

Restart and test again.

By the way, you don't have any programs installed that could have caused this autorun to stop? (discussed earlier)

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:54:48 AM »
                My machine runs Windows XP Professional.   gpedit did run from the 'Run' box.   However, under Computer Configuration > Administrative
                 Templates > Windows Components, there was no 'Autoplay policies'.   My computer is my own home computer.   

Regarding AutoplayConfig, your new link said "Sorry, you have reached your daily download limit.", even though I haven't downloaded anything from them!

I ran cleanhandlers.exe, pressed 'Scan and fix invalid entries' and it ran.

However, CDs still don't autoplay.

Re. Nero, please see my comment in my last post above.

kimsland

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
                  Re. Nero, please see my comment in my last post above.
                  I use to love Nero, but it just go too big, and gave too many startups and extra services and it was too memory consuming. I realized I was just generally burning data (Music, videos etc) and not creating some wonderful CD/DVD with all these other whistles and bells, so I decided to fully uninstall it, plus run the Nero removal tool (yes they even have a Nero clean tool for this huge program) And ended up downloading another program that does everything I want and its free!
                  Nero clean tool (used after you uninstall Nero) http://ftp6.nero.com/tools/Nero-CleanTool.zip
                  ImgBurn (Free CD/DVD Burning application) http://www.imgburn.com/
                  Since Nero is a bought product, you may want to decide for yourself, but I've never looked back personally.

Those autorun.inf files, do startup CD's (normally), but I'm more concerned with that Windows prompt that allows you to select what to do when a disc is inserted, ie Play with your media player (I use free VLC Media player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ ) I understand, presently for you, both these prompts are not working. You don't need the INF file to get this Windows prompt, after a CD is inserted.

Regarding that download, I clicked on 'Free Download' as a general user, waited 45 secs, and it gave the download box and downloaded fine. Please try again.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 04:20:09 AM »
                    I don't get any prompts from Windows asking me what to do when a CD or DVD is inserted.

The AutoPlayConfig link still gives "Sorry you have reached your daily download limit", even
                    after waiting a coupld of minutes. There was no 'free download' option.

I think I'll put up with the lack of autorunning if it is caused by Nero.   I'm reluctant to
                    get rid of it, in view of us having great difficulty in burning to DVDs prior to getting it.

Thanks for your help.