Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Two types of ram?  (Read 3448 times)

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Two types of ram?
    « on: November 28, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »
    Can you load / put two different types of ram in your mobo, As in DDR2 8GB 2x4GB PC2-6400 and 2 4GB of pny p5800 ram together. Someone told me it would only recognize the lower ram. My specs are listed on Comp specs only difference is I have 8 GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 ram installed. Thanks.

truenorth

Guru

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
        • Experience: Guru
        Re: Two types of ram?
        « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 06:12:35 PM »
        Can you load / put two different types of ram in your mobo, As in DDR2 8GB 2x4GB PC2-6400 and 2 4GB of pny p5800 ram together. Someone told me it would only recognize the lower ram. My specs are listed on Comp specs only difference is I have 8 GB of DDR2 PC2-6400 ram installed. Thanks.

Nforce 780i SLI Motherboared
        System memory support:
        Supports dual channel DDR2 533/667/800, and up to 1200 MHz SLI-Ready
        Memory. Supports up to 8 GBs DDR2 memory.

Your configuration of wanting 16Gig of Ram won't work anyway! (Max 8Gig)

Yes, if the Ram is compatible with your board's specifications the lowest speed Ram will be the entire speed of all your Ram cards installed

Mruniverce

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »
          ok thanks but what i do not understand is I have 8gb of ram installed and I still have 2 empty slots that I could put ram in, i guess thats for 2gb of ram per slot?.

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »
            You cannot use the two empty slots, you already have the maximum Ram installed.
            I suppose those slots (without reading the manual) are for users who put all 1Gig or all 2Gig Ram cards in, ie using all slots. (Up to 8Gig or less only)