Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Messed up desktop Display settings  (Read 3192 times)

amtentori

Messed up desktop Display settings
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:20 PM »

So I really messed up here.
It would be great if you guys could help.

I have a Dell Studio XPS with Windows Vista hooked up to a Samsung 32inch 720p HD TV.

I was trying to play Braid. When I booted the game, it briefly showed the game but then my screen went blank and my TV displayed the message (not supported mode)

I figured the resolution was off and tried playing with the display settings to try to fix it. I accidentally upped the refresh rate of my monitor and then my screen went blank and I could not see or change anything.

Booted in safe mode to try to fix it, but then upped the resolution in safe mode and the screen went blank again. Now if I try to boot in safe mode my monitor does not display anything.

I can boot setup, but it seems that it is.
Is there any way to change display settings in setup or any other way to fix this?

Thanks

kimsland

Intermediate

• Leaving, CH can obviously do without my support.
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Messed up desktop Display settings
    « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:40:33 AM »
    Just boot to 'VGA' mode (also under the F8 menu)
    Once the computer starts up, then remove the Video driver from Device Manager, and then restart to Normal Mode.
    Allow normal mode to re-install the Video driver, then restart.
    All should be good after that :)

bronc52

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Messed up desktop Display settings
      « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
      Laptopor desktop computer ?
      you should also check all leads

Test all leads that attach to your hard drive including electrical extensions,IDE,SATA
      the leads from your ((motherboard to your hard drive)) make sure they have a secure dust free connections and are not faulty or just replace them they might be faulty

a computer needs its power and data to travel through every working device and to continue its cycle and to have an end so any faulty leads will end up with a computer error
      also
      you might have to remove your graphics card to make sure the socket is clean
      restart your computer the reinstall it this should activate found new hardware wizard
      if your computer came with a mother board disk the drivers could be on it

click start control panel,display,desktop you can select a different desktop from the drop down list
      or a browse button where you can select different pictures this may vary depending on your operating system

also you can change the settings for more or less pixels or from the drop down list pick the appropriate level of color range or troubleshoot also select advanced then general dpi normal size,larger size or custom settings
      always click APPLY after making any changes 

hope this helps you