Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What motherboard would go well with this computer?  (Read 4301 times)

alijayadv

Topic Starter

• antivirus discount
  • Experience: Beginner
What motherboard would go well with this computer?
« on: December 02, 2011, 09:11:44 PM »
I am planning on getting a custom computer built (yeah I could try to build it myself, but my luck is not the greatest and I would probably screw something up anyway). I would like some help in figuring out what kind of motherboard I should get for a computer that has:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB

anything else I should also look into? Like powersupply?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: What motherboard would go well with this computer?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 11:25:21 PM »
I am planning on getting a custom computer built ...
AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition
ATI Radeon HD 4890 1GB
Both those items have information in the user manual about power supply. Notice that the Video Graphics car you chose consumes a lot of power. Also, both of these are now getting old already. We are almost in 2012 and you will have have stuff that is three years old.

You can calculate the Power Supply on-line. Here is one on newegg:
Power Supply Calculator

lelindaedwards

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 03:33:17 PM »
    I'd go along with the general ASUS recommendation for the mobo. The power supply is something to consider but only after everything else has been specified (otherwise you don't know what you need).

The disk subsystem is commonly overlooked - it isn't simply a matter of hooking up a drive of the right capacity. A good smart controller (not the built into motherboard one) and good drives can make a big difference. For anything other than a gaming machine more so that the GPU. A quality SAS controller and drives are not cheap but transform a sluggish machine into fast and responsive one.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »
    I'd go along with the general ASUS recommendation for the mobo. The power supply is something to consider but only after everything else has been specified (otherwise you don't know what you need).

The disk subsystem is commonly overlooked - it isn't simply a matter of hooking up a drive of the right capacity. A good smart controller (not the built into motherboard one) and good drives can make a big difference. For anything other than a gaming machine more so that the GPU. A quality SAS controller and drives are not cheap but transform a sluggish machine into fast and responsive one.

Biggest bunch of Mularkey i've read in 3 months...

Carry on...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "