Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: usb ports all stopped working after someone tried to force a usb key into  (Read 2468 times)

compuelem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    a broken port.

in the past,  I've had all the usb ports stop working after connecting a palm pilot to the pc.  I had a technician come and he said he had to reformat the computer,  and then they worked again.  this happened several times.
    I once reformatted myself,  though I forgot how.  I think the main problem in reformatting is I had to  not onbly first copy all the data and then after reformatting,  replace it,  but reinstall all the software.

Now, recently, someone tried to insert a usb key into a usb port that was already broken, and since then,  none of the usb ports work.
    A technician I spoke to said to just install a new usb card.  I just wanted to double check,  before I do that,  if someone out there agrees that that is the first thing to try.  thanks.  ::) ???

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    A PCI USB addon card is approx. 20 Bucks...5 minutes to install...

Meanwhile put some tape over the broken one.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lumpy44

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    A 15-20 dollar USB card is well worth the time you would spend reformatting, reinstalling, and getting frustrated when this happens. Cover up the non-working ports and pimp slap the person who keeps putting the usb stick in the port.

compuelem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

thank you :)

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      Are these ports on the front of the case? or at the rear of the case?

If they are at the front, it would be worth investigating/removing the connector for the front panel. Iv'e seen a few cases where the front ones are broken, so the connectors short out and then the rest on the back stop working also.

compuelem

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Dear Kurtiskain:
        Just read your advice now. Thanks.  I srongly suspect that the connectors shorted out, as you said.  I think the original broken one was on the front pane. But how do I remover the connector for the front panel?  I have already installed a new usb 2/0 controller card,  as many suggested,  and still they don't work. 

Kurtiskain

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        If the connectors at the front are shorting it is likely drawing all the load off the 5V line for your motherboard. Follow the connections frn the front of your case toward the motherboard the USB connector plugs are usually blue in colour and the pins are arranged in this pattern on the motherboard
        ::::.
        With the cables running to it being red, white, green, black.

The other possibility is that the drivers for the USB card are not installed.