Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows vista won't start  (Read 3072 times)

jessim77

Topic Starter

Starter
    • Experience: Familiar
    windows vista won't start
    « on: November 27, 2011, 07:36:47 PM »
    I can't get windows to boot. I press the power button there is a beep and then a succession of beeps and then nothing. The screen stays black. If I press f2 it sounds like windows starts, but the screen stays black. I have a Gateway fx540b. I have never had a problem with this computer. It wasn't acting funny at all until I tried to restart it about 2"weeks ago and that's what happened. I was able to get windows to start three times by turning the computer on and off a few times, but I haven't had any success doing that for a week now. Please help!  :'(

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: windows vista won't start
    « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 07:57:35 PM »
    Welcome!
    Computer Hope is the number one location for free computer help.
    The forum will help everyone with all computer questions.

How many beeps?
    You may have to open up the case, power cord removed, and check for a loose memory stick. Or a loose PCI card. Or a loose power connector.

How long has it been that you cleaned out the dust?

jessim77

Topic Starter

Starter
      « Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 08:38:15 PM »
      It beeps 3 or 4 times. I haven't thoroughly cleaned out the dust for awhile now.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:55:38 PM »
      http://support.gateway.com/s/Servers/COMPO/MOTHERBD/WME859199/WME859199faq2.shtml

Base memory. Most often one stick is out of the slot.

Dust by itself does not do much. But it indicates that you have not been inside of it very often. In time the sticks can work there way loose. Or reduce efficiency due to oxidation. Removing and intersection of a stick will wipe the oxidation.  Use of a solvent is seldom needed and may cause problems.

In a high humidity environment dust draws moisture winch promotes oxidation. Oxidation reduces the efficiency of low pressure contacts. Once a year you ought to clean out the dust and reset low pressure connections. (Power connectors, drive cables, memory sticks.)

The same rule applies to rooms where people smoke. Also, high dust areas, like an warehouse.
      « Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:10:10 PM by Geek-9pm »

jessim77

Topic Starter

Starter
        « Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
        Thanks for the info. I will open it up and check it out. I will let you know if it works.

JohnEric

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 07:04:19 AM »
        What to do if Windows won't start correctly

Because troubleshooting system problems is a complex process, and hardware and software configurations can vary greatly, there are many approaches you can take to fixing problems that might prevent Windows from starting (booting) correctly. Here are some tools you can use and strategies you can try: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/What-to-do-if-Windows-wont-start-correctly
        Related thread: http://www.techyv.com/questions/windows-vista-installation-error-message