Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IE8 Video display problem on some sites  (Read 9118 times)

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    IE8 Video display problem on some sites
    « on: December 14, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »
    Hi!

I could use some help. When I try to view videos using IE8 on some websites they don't display. Examples are Carcraft.com and Discovery.com. Others like NBC.com work fine. The carcraft one has a black box on the right that normally displays a video it says loading forever. I have tried the following so far:

Reinstalled Adobe Flash Player numerous times
    Disabled McAffee viruscan
    Ran a variety of spyware removal applications
    Reloaded IE8
    Ran a repair of XP
    Deleted a lot of applications that I thought might affect this
    Deleted and reinstalled Java
    Tried a bunch of Advanced settings in IE8 and also set Security and Privacy to the lowest levels
    I tried IE8 using the safe mode and also IE8 with no addons
    I shut off the XP firewall and I don't have any others installed
    Tried all the other browsers available and they all have the same problem

Nothing has changed anything. I have FiOS for an ISP and have other PCs on my LAN with XP and IE8 but they all work okay so I think it It seems that something is blocking access to ooyala.com and discoverymedia.com. It's not my network because my other PCs work okay. There is nothing other than 127.0.0.1 on my hosts file. It must be my PC. My PC is a Dell GX620 and otherwise it works fine. I can't identify when this happened, but the Carcraft site worked before.

Any help will be well appreciated!

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: IE8 Video display problem on some sites
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:01:22 AM »
    If you go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, does it confirm Flash Player is installed?  What version?  How much memory does your computer have?  How much free space on the hard drive?  Have you tried clearing your browser history? 

How about trying another web browser such as Firefox, Opera, or Chrome? 

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:30:46 PM »
      I have the latest Flash player installed, my PC has 2 Gigs of ram, and about 450 Gigs of free space on my hard drive and I have cleared the browser history many times.  I have tried all other browsers and they all act the same.  I pinged player.ooyala.com and static.discoverymedia.com and found they both end up with akamai.net locations.  I don't have any spy blockers running but I have used a variety of clean up applications after a virus attack.  I searched for akamai in the files on my hard drives and also in the registry but didn't find anything.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:46:25 PM »
      try a boot to safemode with networking, see if problem still exist that way,

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:35:24 PM »
        I did start in safe mode with networking and IE acted the same.  Thanks for responding!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:14:41 PM »
        What kind of McAffe protection software is installed on your PC? What are the current versions on Java and Flash for IE?

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:42:58 PM »
          McAfee is Virusscan Enterprise 8.5.0i, Flash Player is 11.1.102.155, both the ActiveX and plug-in are installed and Java is 1.6.0_30-b12. All are the latest. Thanks

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
            With regards to this "ooyala.com " do you meet all the criteria of this including that you are NOT being restricted by "demo account" as relates to this
            http://www.ooyala.com/tos
            truenorth

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 09:54:14 PM »
              I am not aware of anything that could be violating the ooyala.com TOS.  I contacted ooyala for help and they surmised that something was blocking access to their player.  They made no reference to the TOS.  Besides static.discoverymedia.net causes the same problem. Thanks for responding.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
              « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
              McAfee is Virusscan Enterprise 8.5.0i
              Can you check this link if its the same version with patches available also : Release Notes for VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i Patch 8
              I am also looking into using another free antivirus software after uninstalling McAfee for testing purposes.

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
                Do you know how to determine which patches have been applied to McAfee?  I found the "repair installation" option in tools on McAfee and used it.  It said that it returns the software to the state it was upon installation and removes updates, patches and customizations.  Upon the completion of that I manually used update to get to the latest levels again, but patches aren't mentioned other than to say that they are undone when doing a"repair installation".  The browser acts the same as before.  I'm trying to find the Virusscan CD so I can delete it and reinstall if necessary.  Thanks for the response.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »
                Do you know how to determine which patches have been applied to McAfee?
                Disregard the previous link on 8.5i patch 8 as further looking shows 8.5.0i is different. Looking at this site McAffee Product and Support Life Cycle, your current antivirus version support will end by Dec. 31, 2011. A newer version 8.8 with all the latest patches/hotfix. This could be a time to try and use other FREE antivirus. Avira, Avast, Microsoft Security Essential, AVG. So uninstalling this time would be commended. See this link also https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55208

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 01:31:08 AM »
                  Thanks for the info on McAfee going out of support.  I completed deleted it an installed Microsoft Security Essentials and ran a scan that detected nothing - good!  The bad news is that IE8 continues to not display the sites mentioned earlier.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
                  « Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 01:49:44 AM »
                    I don't have any spy blockers running but I have used a variety of clean up applications after a virus attack.  I searched for akamai in the files on my hard drives and also in the registry but didn't find anything
                  I am out of ideas other than this where you could be infected or someone else may jump in to clear your problem.  I see a sign of redirection in between this post. Do you want to be checked by a Malware expert for further checking on your computer?

mgroome

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 01:55:06 AM »
                    I'll accept any help I can get.  I have HiJackThis installed and the following is the log generated by it.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
                    Scan saved at 3:53:37 AM, on 12/19/2011
                    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
                    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
                    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                    c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\Antimalware\MsMpEng.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Uniblue\RegistryBooster\rbmonitor.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
                    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Vista Drive Icon\DrvIcon.exe
                    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
                    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ad-Aware Browsing Protection\adawarebp.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe
                    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Akamai\netsession_win.exe
                    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Akamai\netsession_win.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Visioneer\OneTouch 4.0\OtService.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\snmp.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
                    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\Microsoft MapPoint 2009\StreetsOlkShim.exe
                    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
                    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
                    C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bing.com/
                    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
                    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
                    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
                    F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
                    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
                    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
                    O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
                    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMAXPnP] C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDVDDXSrv] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD DX\PDVDDXSrv.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LogitechVideoRepair] C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DrvIcon] C:\Program Files\Vista Drive Icon\DrvIcon.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APSDaemon] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-Aware Browsing Protection] "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ad-Aware Browsing Protection\adawarebp.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
                    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Xvid] C:\Program Files\Xvid\CheckUpdate.exe
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA}] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
                    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Akamai NetSession Interface] "C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Akamai\netsession_win.exe"
                    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'SYSTEM')
                    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [adaware] reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\AppDataLow\Software\adaware" /f (User 'SYSTEM')
                    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [adaware_XP] reg.exe delete "HKCU\Software\adaware" /f (User 'SYSTEM')
                    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [tscuninstall] %systemroot%\system32\tscupgrd.exe (User 'Default user')
                    O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = ?
                    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
                    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
                    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
                    O15 - Trusted Zone: http://*.mcafee.com
                    O16 - DPF: {0067DBFC-A752-458C-AE6E-B9C7E63D4824} (Device Detection) - http://www.logitech.com/devicedetector/plugins/LogitechDeviceDetection32.cab
                    O16 - DPF: {8BE5651C-D60B-4B59-B5B2-F0EB93733D17} (IOBIVMUtil.VMDecoder) - https://www36.verizon.com/CallAssistant/MyAccount/UnProtected/Voice%20Mail/VCAVMUtil.CAB
                    O16 - DPF: {C1FDEE68-98D5-4F42-A4DD-D0BECF5077EB} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/eBay_Enhanced_Picture_Control_v1-0-31-0.cab
                    O16 - DPF: {D00CB680-081D-4F94-97D5-75DEDDC374ED} (WebSync Class) - https://www36.verizon.com/CallAssistant/unprotected/VCAWebCntrl.CAB
                    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
                    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
                    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
                    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
                    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
                    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
                    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
                    O23 - Service: Intel(R) NMS (NMSSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\NMSSvc.exe
                    O23 - Service: OneTouch 4.0 Monitor - Visioneer Inc. - C:\Program Files\Visioneer\OneTouch 4.0\OtService.exe

--
                    End of file - 8007 bytes