Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power Supply Voltages  (Read 7355 times)

LORDBUG

Power Supply Voltages
« on: July 05, 2004, 03:48:00 PM »
Just recently my computer has started to act funny.. It flickers every now and then, also when playing a game the text just dissapears, things freeze up sometime also. This computer has been running just fine for the last year now and suddenly this is happening, for 4 days now.

I remembered I didn't buy another fan for my case, I just have one fan + cpu fan.

So I ran a program called M Probe wich checks temperature/voltage/fan speed and it started beeping saying I had problems.  Here is a screenshot.  I know for one I need to add a case fan, but im worried about the voltages, do you guys think I need to replace the power supply now?   ???

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Power Supply Voltages
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 07:02:02 PM »
    LORDBUG......Something looks odd ......Your motherboard temp looks pretty high......I'd like you to D/l  pc wizard 2004 and compare the reading it gives you and let us know....
    Are you overclocking the processor ?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3846.html

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 07:04:28 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 05:30:15 AM »
    What kind of processor do you got? You failed to mention vital information.

This concerns AMD processors:

Generally speaking, the temperature range for Durons and Athlons up to
    1GHz, and Athlon XP processors up to the 2100+ is 0 to 90C (194F).

The temperature range for Athlon XP 2200+ processors and above is 0 to
    85C (185F).

The temperature range for Athlon 64 processors up to the 3400+, and
    Athlon 64 FX processors up to the FX51 is 0 to 70C (158F).

The temperature range for Athlon 1.1 to 1.4Ghz processors is 0 to 95C
    (203F).

Do you remove dust on a steady basis? It could be that dust build up is causing problems.
    « Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 05:30:53 AM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 05:33:30 AM »
    DL65, you never answered my question when you had me download that program.

My sensors suddenyl detected temperatures that weren't there. What could have caused that? I use different programs such as EasyTune 4 (Gigabyte overclocking tool with temperature sensors, voltage sensors, etc) and Sisoft Sandra.

Did it stress my CPU too much? It happened as soon as I monitured temperatures with that PC Wizard 2004. I donot trust that program.

LORDBUG

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 07:13:02 PM »
    dl65:

Is this the information you wanted?

Raptor: you can see the processor in that image above, AMD Athlon xp 2100+ ( 1.73 ghz )

- Thanks guys for the help ^^

merlin

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 01:15:04 AM »
    what graphics card have you got..this may also be the problem due to over heating...is this game you play on the net?act funny may mean bugs in the system scan for them...

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 08:27:24 AM »
    Your temperatures are certainly not too high for an AMD. Did you read what I quoted?

LORDBUG

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 09:34:18 AM »
    Its not just the game though thats being affected, any application now freezes up randomly, my screen is flickering every now and then, and then in game usually text disapears. The game I was playing fine for over a year now until this started happening, the name of the game is Priston Tale.

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128mb.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 09:42:05 AM »
    Did you make attempts to cool your processor and/or case?

I suggest you clean the fans present in your case.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 09:46:51 AM by Raptor »

merlin

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 12:42:58 PM »
    check your refresh rates on the monitor and maybe you need to update your vid card driver>http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp_2k_56.72  also you could try knocking down the hardware accelerater?

chade

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 09:36:01 PM »
    It does sound a bit like a failing and/or overheating graphics card.  Flickering, visual artefacts and screen freezes can all be associated with graphic card problems.  It's the main suspect, but I wouldn't (yet) be convinced it's the culprit.  

I'd also have a look at the north bridge as a possible culprit - with a high temperature it may be restricting the flow through this bottleneck - which may manifest itself as graphical-type problems such as those you've described.  Has your northbridge fan failed (if it's actively cooled)?  Is there no fan - perhaps you need to install one?

More air flow through your case may help if its either the Video or NB overheating - if the CPU temperature reported is close to correct I don't believe it could possibly be the CPU overheating however.

Don't be afraid to (briefly) touch test heat sinks with your fingers to see if they're the problem.

Another way to test for heat stress is to leave the side of your case off and point a fan over the bits you suspect are overheating.

Have a play around and see if you can figure anything else out.