Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: persistent bootmgr missing on win7 ssd install  (Read 6178 times)

hireegy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    persistent bootmgr missing on win7 ssd install
    « on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
    Hello,

I just received a new M4600 from dell, with no pre-installed OS, and 2 drives:
    -drive 0: HDD, 500 GB
    -drive 1: SSD mini-card (on mini-pcie-e port), 128 GB
    the SSD is set as first boot drive in the BIOS.
    I tried installing windows 7 on the SSD. It already had 2 partitions:
    -partition 1: 39 MB, 38MB free, "reserved (OEM)"
    -partition 2: 2GB, "OS", system partition
    the rest of unallocated space.
    Before installing anything, when booting the laptop, it said "no OS installed" and that was all.
    So first I tried installing the win 7 on the unallocated space. It installed well, but on reboot it couldn't start, the "no os installed" was still there.
    I tried fixMBR, fixboot, the automatic win7 DVD boot repair tool, nothing worked or detected any problem.
    So I tried to erase the first install (format it), to extend the existing (factory installed) 2GB system partition. Windows wouldn't do it. And all I knew was that it was not NTFS.

It is only when I resorted to formatting this 2GB system partition to NTFS, and merging it with the unallocated space behind it, that when I installed win7 again, I then got on reboot "Bootmgr missing, pres ctrl+alt+del to reboot". And again, nothing could change that, no fixmbr, nothing that I could find in diskpart. Seemed like this SSD would only understand something said in a typically "special-SSDish" language: on that "OS" 2GB partition, there was SSDish language, on a usual windows partition there is not, no matter how I did it. And the disappearing of the 2GB partition was the only thing the ssd could react to...

There are 2 aggraving circumstances: I am trying to install win7 on a SSD, and not only a ssd, but a mini-card SSD, which I know requires special factory settings in order to be recognized as a bootable drive, because it is mounted on a mini-pci-e port, not made to be booted on. These settings were to be factory-made by Dell. And I may have erased some of these settings by formatting the "OS" partition that I could not extend.
    Second bad point: my laptop came with an obscure "beware of 512e hard drives" message (without dell beeing able to tell me wether I did have a 512e drive or not, just "your computer may have a 512e hard drive"), with something about a lot of compatibility issues, the need to install special intel drivers (but how can I install them if I have absolutely no OS installed!) and special windows updates. And in France it is 3 in the morning, and even tomorrow I do not know who I may call in Dell to fix this horribly complicated problem. I just can't understand what's going on with the boot sequence on these weird mini-card ssd drives, and without knowing it, why can't my win7 simply boot!

Any help?

Thanks a lot!

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: persistent bootmgr missing on win7 ssd install
    « Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
    I am not sure if I get that you have a new laptop with no pre-installed operating system? I don't see anywhere here http://www.dell.com/us/enterprise/p/precision-m4600/pd referring to other storage devices.

Raven19528

Hopeful
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: persistent bootmgr missing on win7 ssd install
      « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »
      Is there a particular reason you can't install the OS onto the HDD? If possible, you may want to do that, then go through and get everything set up to boot to the SSD, including drivers and fixes and whatever else is needed, verify that it is bootable, then erase the OS off the HDD so you have all of that space availabe again. It is kind of the long way around the block, but if it works, it's better than having a really expensive boat anchor on your desk.
      "All things that are
      Are with more spirit chased than enjoy'd" -Shakespeare