Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PCI express x16, x8 and x4  (Read 9222 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PCI express x16, x8 and x4
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
I think that audio output jacks will interfere with this "double sized GPU" What do you think?
Also it can get in the way of RAM slots

The components of the card will stick out the wrong way for it to interfere or get in the way with either of those...
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »
    The components of the card will stick out the wrong way for it to interfere or get in the way with either of those...

You mean the fans of the GPU will be facing the ground? If you judge by the pictures, the fans will be facing the ground...which is weird... is this a mirror picture or what

--- To be more clear, the fans will be faced away from audio jacks?

--- Now I get why I was confused... It is because my old case is different from the one I am ordering... on my old case the motherboard is attached on the other side of the case....

--- If someone can confirm this, then all my questions are answered. Thanks everyone!
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:06:14 PM by cocinci »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #17 on: December 16, 2011, 09:10:53 PM »
    From the image CC posted, the PCI-Express card's "components" (the stuff attached to it, the large fan cowling, and so forth) will be on the left side of the card. The Audio jack Block and the DRAM slots are both on the right side of the card. The only thing that will stick out on that side are a few savage metal pokers (the soldered on connection points of the components on the other side) which won't be low enough nor stick out far enough to interfere with the components.

Systems are typically designed in a way that puts the expansions slot in a "corner" of the motherboard. PCI-E andPCI cards have their components on them on the side that will face towards the side of the case that has that corner.

On another note, I've never seen a machine, (ever) that has the motherboard mounted on anything but the bottom (in the case of a desktop) or the right (in the case of towers) of the case. That isn't to say they don't exist, but that would usually mean the power supply is on the bottom of the case (or the case is gigantic) and the last time I've seen that was in a Mac II SE, and having the powersupply on the bottom isn't usually conducive to cooling.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cocinci

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2011, 09:44:05 PM »
      From the image CC posted, the PCI-Express card's "components" (the stuff attached to it, the large fan cowling, and so forth) will be on the left side of the card. The Audio jack Block and the DRAM slots are both on the right side of the card. The only thing that will stick out on that side are a few savage metal pokers (the soldered on connection points of the components on the other side) which won't be low enough nor stick out far enough to interfere with the components.

Systems are typically designed in a way that puts the expansions slot in a "corner" of the motherboard. PCI-E andPCI cards have their components on them on the side that will face towards the side of the case that has that corner.

On another note, I've never seen a machine, (ever) that has the motherboard mounted on anything but the bottom (in the case of a desktop) or the right (in the case of towers) of the case. That isn't to say they don't exist, but that would usually mean the power supply is on the bottom of the case (or the case is gigantic) and the last time I've seen that was in a Mac II SE, and having the powersupply on the bottom isn't usually conducive to cooling.

I have a gateway gt4016 which I bought back in 2006... the motherboard is mounted on the left side.
      look at the pic

[regaining space - attachment deleted by admin]

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #19 on: December 16, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
      I've yet to see a Video Card work with anything but full PCI-E 16x. Like the really old ISA cards, you can get a larger card into a smaller slot (like a 16-bit ISA card into a 8-bit slot) but the card would have to be designed to work that way.

Video cards simply aren't. The entire purpose of using the PCIE bus is for maximum bandwidth.

Anandtech has gotten the GeForce 6800 Ultra to work at x8 and even at x2 in an SLI config:
      http://www.anandtech.com/print/1590

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/System-Builder-Marathon,1962-8.html
      The Problem with Bottom-mounted Power Supplies.

Oh and the Gateway GT4016 uses the BTX form factor, thus explaining the motherboard's mounting on the left side of the tower
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_motherboard
      http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-gt4016-media-center/1707-3118_7-31975747.html
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
      Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 05:05:11 AM »
      Oh and the Gateway GT4016 uses the BTX form factor, thus explaining the motherboard's mounting on the left side of the tower
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_motherboard
      http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/gateway-gt4016-media-center/1707-3118_7-31975747.html
      Looks like a twin to the Dell Optiplex GX520 I've been working on.  Neither have bottom mounted PSU's as the BTX Spec specified.  Call it Modified BTX.
      Explains the OP's confusion.
      BTW, circuit board sides are referred to as Component Side & Solder Side, although many have components on both sides & are soldered both sides.  The side with the components protruding the most is the Component Side.  The ATX Specification has strict limits on dimensions, so there is no interference with other plug-in boards or on the motherboard.
      Manufacturers can choose to follow the spec or not, but it is usually in their best interest to follow it, so they are not limited in their choices of other components.