Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video card not running as adverticed  (Read 4281 times)

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
    • Experience: Familiar
    Video card not running as adverticed
    « on: December 18, 2011, 12:56:32 AM »
    Hey guys so after taking some advice from you guys i went ahead and bought me a new 750w power supply and a xfx 6970 2gb video card.
    the video card runs every game including BF3, Skyrim and everything i trow at it max settings but when i look my video card up either on Dxdiag or on any other services it shows the video card running at speeds way way lower than its ment to be.

instead of 2gb memory it says it has 624 mb
    instead of running at 880 mhz core clock it runs at 400mhz   :-\

i have the latest drivers 11.12

my computer specs are Windows vista 64
    Processor : Amd Phenom 9550 quad core 2.2ghx
    6gb ram
    Direct x 11
       ty for help in advance
    i even got new case and everything my home is a cold place so it doesnt overheat :-( anyways thanx guys

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Video card not running as adverticed
    « Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 04:00:14 AM »
    Video cards have an Idle clock, a 2D clock, and a 3D clock. My GT 430's Core Idle clock(when I'm at the desktop browsing the web) is 50 MHz, my 2D clock is 405 MHz, and my 3D clock is 825 MHz, which only kicks in when I'm gaming/video editing, etc. I'm not at my desktop right now so I can't give you the clocks of my memory and nVidia shader, but I do remember they varied along with the Core clock.

624 MB of memory? Really? Check in GPU-Z and see what it reports...
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »
      Ok my friend i downloaded Gpuz and these are the new results
        http://www.systemrequirementslab.com and my Dxdiag mark it as 624mb the GPUZ marks it as 2048
        Gpuz marks it as
        Gpu clock = 600   ,    default gpu clock = 880

something i did notice that was really weird is that GPUZ  on Businterface it says PCI-Ex16 @ x16 but when u pass ur mouse over it it says its runing at PCEex 16 vs 1.1

i did have BF3 turn on when testing and the gpu clock would not go above 600. again ty for ur help

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »
      something i did notice that was really weird is that GPUZ  on Businterface it says PCI-Ex16 @ x16 but when u pass ur mouse over it it says its runing at PCEex 16 vs 1.1
      Okay this part really got my attention. What is your motherboard make and model and does it support PCI-E x16 version 2.0? If it only supports v1.1 then that might explain the slowdown in clock speeds.
      In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:42 AM »
        Ok it says motherboard name is Gateway Dx4200-UB001A
         and on the motherboard it clearly says it supports PCI ex 2.0 and my last video card was a ATI Radeon® HD 3450 graphics with 256 MB DDR2 memory pci ex 2.0

this is a link to the computer i had before upgrading the parts  http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX4200/1015576R/1015576Rsp3.shtml

but i have the computeropen and above the slot were video card goes it clearly says Pci ex 2.0

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:33:48 AM »
        Okay... I am running outta ideas...
        Perhaps we could manually set the clock speeds to default speeds.
        Download www.evga.com/precision (its an overclocking tool, but for our purposes we are only going to set your lower than normal speeds back to manufacturer default).
        Go into GPU-Z and jot down your default clock speeds.
        Run EVGA Precision and move the sliders to correspond to the GPU-Z clock speeds.

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
          « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:37:31 AM »
          if u would like to look while i do it i can msg u my skype and u can watch if u so like :-)

also i get an error when trying to run that precision  ( failed to initialize display driver wrapper ) i just noticed that is evga and my video card is XFX that doesnt matter?

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:44:01 AM »
          I don't think it would be necessary to go through Skype.. as... its a simple matter of moving 3 sliders. :)
          also i get an error when trying to run that precision  ( failed to initialize display driver wrapper ) i just noticed that is evga and my video card is XFX that doesnt matter?
          No I run EVGA Precision on my Colorful and my Gainward graphics cards without an issue.
          Ah we have the culprit! A Google search with this issue tells me that you have an issue with your GFX card drivers! Have you updated them to the latest version, from the AMD site?

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:50:31 AM »
            ok i downloaded drivers yesturday but i will uninstall and download again and reboot brb

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
              « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:58:11 AM »
              Ok i got the uptodate drivers wich were the same ones i had straight from the website and it still shows the same info and i still cannot run the program EVGA precision  :-[

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 09:06:24 AM »
              Okay... This is starting to get odd...
              I have read reports of EVGA Precision not working with the Radeon HD 5800 series, but never with the 6XXX series...
              http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
              MSI afterburner uses the same engine as Precision that allows you to modify your clock speeds.

MSI Afterburner v2.1.0 (2011-02-15)
              Added AMD Barts and Cayman graphics processors family support
              Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 6970 graphics cards with CHL8228 voltage regulators
              Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 6970 graphics cards with VT1556 voltage regulators
              Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 6950 graphics cards with CHL8214 voltage regulators. Please take a note that voltage control is not supported on AMD RADEON 6950 graphics cards flashed with AMD 6970 BIOS
              Added core voltage control for reference design AMD RADEON 6950 graphics cards with VT1556 voltage regulators. Please take a note that voltage control is not supported on AMD RADEON 6950 graphics cards flashed with AMD 6970 BIOS
              It has increased support for the 6XXX series, so I would give it a shot.

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
                « Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »
                ok my friend i put it to 880 mhz gonna test it now

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
                  « Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 09:34:27 AM »
                  Ok my friend i greatly appreciate it now it is displaying the right info and when im in BF3 it is going to 880 mhz   ;D

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
                    • Yes
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 10:25:26 AM »
                  Good to know that I helped someone today, my friend :)

merlok

Topic Starter

Rookie
                    « Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 10:37:43 AM »
                    ty again i apreciate it :-)