Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: loop back question  (Read 7143 times)

reddevilggg

Topic Starter

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
loop back question
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:57 PM »

I've created 7 subnets with 3 routers using the Packet Tracer software from Cisco. All of it is configured and working fine. The problem is, there is another router which has an IP address for a ISP, so that my network can connect to this and i can configure it for internet access. I've been told that i can connect one of my routers to the 'internet' router using a loop back address, yet i cant seem to get this to work OR find much information about it.

Any help ?
11 cheers for binary !

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: loop back question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:41:14 AM »
Can you post a network diagram?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:18:03 AM »
Okay I just downloaded Packet Tracer v5.3.2.0027, playing with it ;D
Really is an interesting tool:

How did you set up the network?
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

reddevilggg

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:39:15 AM »
 Here is a copy of my network

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Warmingham router, in the centre, is connected to the Internet, the router on the right (router 0). The internet isp address 145.45.5.100. The warmingham router is connected to Subnet E, to the north, with a network address of 172.56.2.0/27 and 2 WANs.
WAN A, 172.56.2.32/30 on the left and WAN B 172.56.2.36/30 on the right

11 cheers for binary !

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »
And which networks need to be able to route out to the internet?
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

reddevilggg

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:16:41 AM »

And which networks need to be able to route out to the internet?

All of it, through the Warmingham router, which is connected to the isp internet router (router 0)
11 cheers for binary !

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 09:49:56 PM »

I just connected Router0 and Warmingham with a Serial connection, manually set 145.45.5.100 as the IP address on Serial 2 on Router0, and Warmingham Serial 2 has an IP address of 145.45.5.101/16... but I haven't figured out how to get Static and RIP routing to work yet.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.

reddevilggg

Topic Starter

Expert

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 06:26:53 AM »

There supposed to be some way to use a loop back address, apparently. I don't know though.
11 cheers for binary !

Transfusion

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
I figured I had to go Google after I realized my lack of knowledge about Router IOS commands and routing were severely limiting my progress :-\

A loopback on a router has to be configured as a virtual interface. These have a *lot* of different uses, but to give just one example it can be used as a Router ID in an OSPF process if you don't want OSPF to pick the highest IP address of any physical interface on the router. In general, the loopback address is also the best one to ping to see if the router is up, since otherwise you'd be pinging the IP of a physical interface, and the router might be online via another interface if the one you're polling goes down.

Here's how you configure a loopback interface in Packet Tracer (or on a real router for that matter). In this example I just picked an IP address out of the sky (do NOT pick anything in the 127.x.x.x range since it is reserved for host loopbacks, and the router won't even let you do it):

enable
conf t
interface loopback 0
ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255
no shutdown
exit
exit
wr

You don't have to, but here I picked a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255, or a "host mask" since the loopback can be thought of as its own single-host network. Also you can make more than one loopback interface if you want.
Source(s):
CCNA, 1/2 CCNP
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091110062813AAsrKeA
I hope this helps.