Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pentium 4 CPU has Hyperthreading? or not? defenition of that too?  (Read 3928 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
alright, so i heard hyperthreading is basically a speed boost in your CPU and wanted to know if i have that option in my CPU. i have a Pentium 4 CPU and i even will post what it says on the CPU later. my System has the HP d530 SFF(PB604A) with a custom CPU of 3GHz, not the original 2.80Ghz. I have 1.5GB of RAM a 60GB master hard drive, 80GB slave, 256mb Radeon 9600 graphics card. All i want to know is if my CPU can enable hyperthreading, the exact definition of hyperthreading, what it really does and if i was even close to what it really is. Here is what was written on my CPU:

Intel 03
Pentium 4
3.00GHz/IM/800
SL97L MALAY
L408A804

M410A438

ANY help will be great, thanks

PS> the motherboard isnt in the original case either, its inside a tower, has custom CPU and maxed out to my knowledge, and by me.

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: pentium 4 CPU has Hyperthreading? or not? defenition of that too?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »

The models of P4s that have Hyper-Threading.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/hyperthreading-technology-explained/
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-hyper-threading-technology-your-questions-answered/
Basically, Open up Task Manager, if you see 2 graphs under "CPU Usage History," then your P4 has Hyperthreading support-Hyperthreading creates 2 logical processors for each core you have. The P4 is a single-core CPU.

There are P4s with insane stock clock speeds of 3.8 GHz, so I wouldn't call your 3.0 GHz a "custom" CPU.
From this diagram:
http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickreffam.htm#P4
Close to the bottom of the chart there is only one model of P4 with a clock speed of 3 GHz which was introduced in April '03; that model supports HT.
Your CPU says: "Intel '03", so I think we have it.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52:07 PM »
by custom i ment that it wasnt the original CPU the motherboard came with, and i dont have two graphs however, i have in the properties of my computer it says i have 3.00ghz
then 2.99Ghz does that mean i have HT and that its just not active?

giardmi09

Beginner

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Hello comda,

Try this:

• Restart the computer then when you see the F10=Setup message on the screen press F10 repeatedly.
  • Select the appropriate language option.
  • Then go to: Advanced > Device Options > Hyper-Threading.
  • Set the Hyper-Threading option to enable and then press the F10 key to accept the change.
  • Select: File > Save Changes and Exit then press enter.
  • Press F10 to save changes and exit.

Congrats now you can be sure that Hyper-Threading is enabled!