Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Battlefield 3 PUNKBUSTER Error!  (Read 15078 times)

GidkoN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Battlefield 3 PUNKBUSTER Error!
« on: December 26, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
Hello!, Thanks for viewing!

I'll make this sound as simple as possible!

I just bought Battlefield 3 installed, downloaded the patch. I tried to play multiplayer and it brings me to the battlelog website. So I choose a server and click play. It says I need to download pbsetup.exe and install the Battlefield 3 punkbuster files. So I do exactly that. I run into no errors. Then I start multiplayer again and the game starts fine and gets to the loading screen and freezes and closes... Then back in the battlelog website it says:
"Game disconnected: you were kicked by PunkBuster. Stated reason: PunkBuster kicked player 'MYUSERNAME' (for 0 minutes) ... RESTRICTION: Service Communication Failure: PnkBstrA.exe"
I go online and look up the error and it says to try to manually install the services using pbsvc,exe.
When Opening pbsvc.exe I get multiple errors.
First: A box pops up saying "**ERROR: The extract file failed an authenticity check."
So I click "OK"
Then: Another box pops up saying "can't open file 'C:\windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe' (error 5: access is denied.)
Then it brings me to the install log:
Checking user is Administrator     OK
Checking Administrator privileges  OK
Opening Service Control Manager    OK
Searching for PnkBstrA             None Found - OK
Extracting PnkBstrA service        OK
Verifying service authenticity     ERROR
I went into system32 and found the file and tried to open it and change security settings but eventhough I am admin it states I do not have the appropriate permissions to access the item...

SO! If anyone can help me in ANY way it would be much appreciated!

I have tried disabling my firewall and allowing it through it.
I have tried safe mode, It seems to install correctly until the installer reaches the part where it trys to open the service, it cant because i am in safemode..
And in safe mode I can modify the file in system32.

Thanks!

Computer Information:

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate   
Version   6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601   
Other OS Description    Not Available   
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation   
System Name   NATHAN   
System Manufacturer   HP-Pavilion   
System Model   NY553AA-ABA e9220y   
System Type   x64-based PC   
Processor   AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 910 Processor, 2600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)   
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. 5.04, 10/1/2009   
SMBIOS Version   2.6   
Windows Directory   C:\Windows   
System Directory   C:\Windows\system32   
Boot Device   \Device\HarddiskVolume1   
Locale   United States   
Hardware Abstraction Layer   Version = "6.1.7601.17514"   
User Name   NATHAN\Nathan   
Time Zone   Eastern Standard Time   
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)   8.00 GB   
Total Physical Memory   7.99 GB   
Available Physical Memory   5.48 GB   
Total Virtual Memory   16.0 GB   
Available Virtual Memory   13.2 GB   

« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 09:01:57 PM by GidkoN »

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Battlefield 3 PUNKBUSTER Error!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 09:23:36 PM »
"failed an authenticity check" usually means that you have a corrupt file, either due to tampering to due to a problem with your computer causing a corrupt download and installation. So this corrupt PnkBstrA installation attempts to communicate with the PB servers, resulting in you unable to play online.
All I can think of is re downloading the PunkBuster setup file, from a different computer, and then installing it via USB drive.
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

GidkoN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 06:26:21 AM »
I'll try that, I wonder what would be causing it though. When I run the exe in a sandbox it seems to get past the authenticity error.

(EDIT) Still nothing. I still get a authenticity error... I dont know what to do anymore. I have used all my tricks..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:56:12 AM by GidkoN »

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:14:35 AM »
In a sandbox... is it possible that some program is accessing the exe, like an antivirus program? Try disabling your antivirus/add an exception for the exe..
In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none

GidkoN

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »
Unfortunately, I have tried that. I am running commodo internet security.

How would I find out what is causing it or what is accessing it. It is the computer, I tried it on another computer I have and it worked like a charm...

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
It usually fails to communicate if you're blocking Punkbuster somehow. I suppose some overly eager virusscanners would do so.

You might also want to make sure the Punkbuster service is running and that Punkbuster is up to date.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 11:05:17 PM »
Also check your firewall settings and make sure the firewall isn't blocking Punkbuster's access to the internet.