Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: formatting, erasing, or wiping my hard drives  (Read 7220 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: formatting, erasing, or wiping my hard drives
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:43 PM »
Or a company trying to make sure info is removed securely to stop criminals stealing sensitive employee information.  Or actually quite a few very genuine and legal reasons to be worried.

I was speaking of the private individual and home PCs.

Ask any law enforcement technologist if you're right. You're not.
No matter the length...nor the technical jargon used in the lengthy quote i know it can be done...and has been done for all of computing time...

To think otherwise is foolish.

"I see you your quoted passage from a Doctoral thesis and I counter with a opinion!"

Look, here's the thing, you know what I originally set out to do? debunk Rob's claims. I was quite certain that it was possible. You know what I found? That. You know what I learned? I was wrong. I'm not about to pretend I understand everything noted in that quotation, much less the rest of the paper. (I dug through my history and got the link to the full PDF, it can be viewed here. Yes it one of those goofy weird google urls. Can't seem to get the clean URL for it though. Either way, regardless of how much I do or do not understand it, it was created from years of research and investigation and testing; to claim that it's fallacious simply because you want it to be while providing no actual counter-argument besides what is logically the same as saying "nuh uh!" is face-palm worthy. I was even going to qualify my previous post with "the DoD/etc might have access to technology that isn't available to consumers" and, well, no doubt they do. But the fact is that regardless of how advanced their data recovery might be, it can't possibly do the impossible, which is precisely what the paper proves, by way of statistical data, testing, and scientific analysis. it cannot be discarded without refuting all three. An opinion doesn't do that, regardless of whether it happens to be followed with a suggestion to "consult a law enforcement technologist", as if it is somehow our responsibility to provide the backing of evidence that your opinions so strongly imply exists but seem to keep drawing a 404.

I'm convinced purely by the fact that searching for information on Hard Drives being securely deleted with minimal effort brings up things like white papers and theses on the subject, while searching for the opposite only seems to bring hits to "Bob the repairpersons" web page where he rattles on about a subject that he clearly knows nothing about, how people need to wipe their drive XX times before it becomes reasonably unrecoverable (XX varies, but is always a figure they just pulled out of thin air) or forum topics like this one where people, armed with little more than a strongly held opinion, counter a white-paper written by experts in the subject that analyses data, statistics, and scientific information to come to a conclusion.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 08:07:16 PM »
Did the OP ever resolve his problem?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
Did the OP ever resolve his problem?

Did you contribute to the thread?

The OP hasn't posted back. I don't understand why some people seem to think that when the OP doesn't respond, suddenly everybody is supposed to shut up. If they get "scared away" by being given information, that is their problem. Nothing is stopping them from posting back. Not to mention, in a lot of cases, the poster solves the problem either on their own or through something given in the thread and doesn't bother to respond. Additionally, I particularly love how this particular quote only seems to appear after somebody posts something rather long, as if to try to invalidate the post in it's entirety by implying that it's irrelevant.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 12:35:13 AM »
In the first post the OP said:
I have decided to return this computer for a full refund and just get a new one. I have about a week to do this before I can no longer return it. What I would like to do is totally format/erase/wipe my hard drives and memory before I turn it in.

The original post was quite intriguing. Does one need to fully wipe a hard drive on a computer that is being returned?  Understandably the military would have reason to wipe everything leaving their control. But is a civilian in great danger from returning a computer that he has used for only a matter of days?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 02:37:01 AM »
Ask any law enforcement technologist if you're right. You're not.

No matter the length...nor the technical jargon used in the lengthy quote i know it can be done...and has been done for all of computing time...

To think otherwise is foolish.

No no no!

Reference: http://www.infosecisland.com/blogview/16130-The-Urban-Legend-of-Multipass-Hard-Disk-Overwrite.html  :P
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 12:15:41 PM »
Rob Pomeroy, Thanks for the link. Very interesting. It shows that the 'standards' for wiping data are not verifiable standards at all. There is no proof that a single write does not wipe out most of the data. The original paper was never verified by actual forensic tests.
Someone has suggested that the American Military would never do something foolish and stupid. Therefore if they say anything, it must be reliable.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 06:44:54 PM »
Someone has suggested that the American Military would never do something foolish and stupid. Therefore if they say anything, it must be reliable.

:-X