Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost control over files after messing with registry  (Read 2957 times)

Mondo

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Lost control over files after messing with registry
    « on: January 01, 2012, 01:04:02 PM »
    Hello everyone,

My problem appeared after a bit random removal of some entries via regedit. Files had something to do with a video game, so I thought they didn't influence the whole system. But they did. Moreover, I can't remember where I deleted them from.  As a result, every account on my computer loses control over files when they get moved from destktop - the whole problem is explained in the graphic below. No 'registry repair' programs helped. Please feel free to call me a careless idiot for messing my registry up but I would also be very grateful for some piece of advice. Is there any 'computer hope' for me? :)

http://i40.tinypic.com/10771bq.jpg

Thank you in advance and sorry for any mistakes or terms misused.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Lost control over files after messing with registry
    « Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
    Try system restore

2x3i5x

Expert
    • Computer: Specs
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
    If you're uninstalling something, you can use Revo Uninstaller to do it. It cleans the registry properly of files leftover from uninstalled program (if any) as far as I understand and it's also a recommended program of computer hope.

Mondo

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:05:51 PM »
      Probably system restore is my only option. Pity I haven't made a restore point since I got my laptop - that means I should say goodbye to all software installed and settings made, am I right? Anyways, thanks for advice and tips on future uninstalling.

2x3i5x

Expert
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:31:20 PM »
      not necessarily, as far as I know, windows update (if on recommended settings), make restore points prior to installing the updates so you can go backwards if the update crashed your computer somehow.

So if you still have one of those, you'll lose only the things that are newer than the restore point date. Good luck