Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: microsoft silverlight  (Read 6088 times)

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

microsoft silverlight
    « on: April 26, 2015, 11:14:02 AM »
    Not even sure if this is the right place, it might not be a computer issue, but rather a website issue.  When I went to discovercard.com to pay a bill, a window popup for Microsoft Silverlight asking to allow it permission to change (or something like that), but it wont let me click allow or not allow.  It simply freezes the page, so I have to go through task manager and close the window.  All the other pages I visit are just fine.  So I don't know if this is something I need to do internally or if it's the website (discover) which has the problem?  any thoughts?  thanks

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: microsoft silverlight
    « Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:33:07 AM »
    I can't make sense of your post since https://www.discover.com/ (discovercard.com) does not use Silverlight.  Do you visit sites that actually use Silverlight?  If not, then I suggest you uninstall it. 

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:50:22 PM »
      thanks, I don't know if I use sights with Silverlight or not, when I tried to log in that's when it popped up and froze everything.  So I think uninstall is a good option.  Appreciate the answer. Thanks again

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 07:51:11 PM »
      If you encounter a website that uses it, you'll be alerted that Silverlight is required to view certain content on the page and you could reinstall it if necessary.  Silverlight was Microsoft's attempt to make inroads against Adobe's Flash but it never gained wide acceptance among web developers.  The only web pages I've encountered for the last 2 years or so that used it, as I recall, were some Microsoft pages. 

gomer309

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 02:03:54 PM »
        Thanks for the tips, I uninstalled it, no more problems.  feel free to close.