Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Owner Issue  (Read 3501 times)

Hannibal

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
  • I'm always one step ahead of myself.
    • Experience: Experienced
    Computer Owner Issue
    « on: January 03, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »
    Hello all.

So, I finally got a decent laptop from my friend Jennifer, she obviously used her name as the last registered owner. I fixed this in the registry and now winver says the name is no longer "Jennifer", but "MNH" which is what I wanted.

Here is my problem: I still see that name. Jennifer appears in MS Word and some other programs, but in others, like my PDF reader, it displays MNH as a default. Did I botch my name change or do some products get their default name from a different source, i.e. registered owner of the MS Word software vs. Computer Owner? I am lost and I'd appreciate the help thanks :)

Hannibal

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
      Re: Computer Owner Issue
      « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:23:19 PM »
      Oooops. I forgot to add the details:

Using a Dell Laptop

Windows 7 x64 bit

MS Word 2010 (biggest problems occur in MS Word)

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
      The name and initials of the user are in MS Word - Options

Hannibal

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
        « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:38 PM »
        The options page says it's set to Nicole Hansen (my wife) and the initials are NH. But, when I go to. MS Word >> Insert >> Quick Parts 

The first box uses the letter J and the box below it uses the name Jennifer. These are my hidden reminders and I want them gone. Thank you for your help though.

Reconix

• Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 01:02:35 PM »
           ::) From my understanding it pulls that information from the registered information.
          You've stated that you have indeed tried to change who the system is registered to in the registry, then it's possible that the information has been pulled and stored in Offices own table.
          Uninstalling Word, then installing it again making sure no values are left over could be a solution, or if you go into the Building Blocks Organizer for quickparts you'll be able to edit or remove the general auto fields.

Hope this helps.

Hannibal

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
            « Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 01:18:13 PM »
            This does work for MS Word, kinda. The gallery >>> auto-text still inserts Jennifer, just with MNH as the label above it.

I can't re-install, the previous owner still has the disks.

Is there a way to completely remove this name? I still occasionally see it in file paths too. Is this because they are old paths and didn;t get redone when I changed the owners name?

Thank you guys for all your help thus far...

Hannibal

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
              « Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
              Is it possible to have it re-install MS Word without the keys and the disks, without getting some hacked version? I don't do the hacked thing, so please don't post links to them. :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              • Certifications: List
              • Computer: Specs
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
              Is it possible to have it re-install MS Word without the keys and the disks, without getting some hacked version? I don't do the hacked thing, so please don't post links to them. :)
              It depends. You can try going to add/remove and use the "change" option for Word, which should allow you to repair the installation. If it doesn't work(that is, requires a disk or something) you should be able to cancel out of it with no ill effects.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

fat_basterd21

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 10:14:30 PM »
              I do not understand why you edited the registry to edit the user name. Can't that be changed in the add/change user in control panel? I believe Word gets the name from the account user not the windows registration.

The obvious solution to me would be to create a new user (making sure it has administrator rights). And then delete the old user account. This would be beneficial in many ways. It wont uninstall any programs though I' believe it will delete the My Documents folder as well as anything on the Desktop for that user ect... I would first create a new user account and move any important files just in case.
              CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE-CONTROL FOR COOL!!!