Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NTLDR is missing - Files Won't Copy to C DRIVE - any other solutions  (Read 2703 times)

Encored

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Hi there,

My Story:

I deleted my D Drive which contained half my space in an attempt to expand my C Drive into the unalloacted disk space. This followed through fine but when the computer was set up originally the boot NTLDR files were placed on the D Drive. I Didnt know this and as I am used to having my files on the C Drive the computer now comes up with 'NTLDR is missing'.

I have obtained the boot CD and have gone into the recovery console to attempt to copy the NTLDR files over from the disk to the C Drive but it blue screens on me with a BAD_POOL_HEADER fault. I attempted to fixboot etc and cant find a way to fix this problem. By my reckoning I think that the files I am attempting to copy over to the C Drive are FAT32 but the C Drive was formatted to an NTFS Type before the merge. Could this be why? and if so how would I Fix this?

Thank yo for any help you give.

Encored

Encored

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: NTLDR is missing - Files Won't Copy to C DRIVE - any other solutions
      « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:48:07 PM »
      Okay, I think this has to do with my ARC PATH. It cannot find the boot.ini file. How do I reconfigure it so that the boot file can be found. Originally it was my D: drive that had the boot files on it, but since the merge the files would be on the C DRIVE?

Or is this just wishful thinking and I need to find myself some NTFS NTLDR files from somewhere?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      Re: NTLDR is missing - Files Won't Copy to C DRIVE - any other solutions
      « Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »
      Do you have an XP cd? If so, do a repair install:
      Boot to the XP CD and choose the SECOND repair option, allowing XP to install on top of itself. After completion you'll need to go to Windows Update and download & install all updates (except for hardware & driver related updates, which should never be downloaded from Windows Update - only from the OEM websites). Here is a clear tutorial on how to perform a repair install: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-how-to-repair-windows-xp/