Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dell vostro 220 board fails to initialize  (Read 5651 times)

paulf

Topic Starter

Rookie

dell vostro 220 board fails to initialize
    « on: March 08, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »
    when I went to use my comp tonight, instead of the usual blue power light, I had an amber light and I could nopt turn on the computer.  ZIn the instructionj manual, such as it is, it tells me that an amber light means that the board is failing to initialize.  Is there something that I can do here, or is an expert required?
    Thanks

Transfusion

Mentor

• STUPID=Smart Talented Unique Person In Demand
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: dell vostro 220 board fails to initialize
    « Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:14 PM »
    is an expert required?
    No.
    You will save a lot on those "experts" if you learn how to self-troubleshoot... And we'll gladly help you! :)

Try resetting your BIOS as a first step:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdp_L5IxaNI

If that doesn't work, try booting with just the essentials: 1 stick of RAM (Alternate RAM slots with each of the RAM modules to test), the CPU, nothing plugged into the PCI/PCIe expansion ports, and onboard graphics. Disconnect the hard drive.
    In Soviet Russia, iPhone touch you. Computer shut you down. Mouse click you. Floppy inserts you. Yahoo answers you. Man in TV watches you. Computer game addicts you. Guitar shreds you. Motherboard fries you. The laughter in manslaughter is put back in.
    Giveaway of the Day" style="border: none