Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: drivers updater  (Read 9591 times)

namsnice

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Experience: Familiar
drivers updater
« on: January 09, 2012, 04:56:39 AM »
sir,
is there any free software which can scan the computer for the driver's and automatically download all the updated drivers.

actually my friend is using dell inspiron 1545 and when we cheked for the driver updates the www.dell.com gives the latest drivers of 2010 only. no newer updates.
can we get it from any other source.

regards,
nams
Best Regards
Nams

Computer_Commando

Hacker
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: drivers updater
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 05:24:46 AM »
If there are no updates from Dell, then you don't need any updates.

namsnice

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:46:05 AM »
thanks commando.

but i am stiking with my avg internet security, it's component so called pc analyser saying that your drivers are out of date but no other information it is showing other than a rating bar full upto amber marking for seviority .
thatz why i am asking about such a tool to reconfirm it. if possible please help.

best regards,
nams
Best Regards
Nams

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:46:45 AM »
Drivers should only be updated if there is a specific need or reason to do so. There is no such thing as an out of date driver. If your system is performing normally, leave it alone.

namsnice

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »
thanks allan,
Best Regards
Nams

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:31 AM »
You're welcome.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:44:16 AM »
I update my drivers periodically. It's a good idea to check the fix list every 6 months because there could very well be fixes related to power consumption or cooling that you'd otherwise never notice.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 06:54:36 AM »
I update my drivers periodically. It's a good idea to check the fix list every 6 months because there could very well be fixes related to power consumption or cooling that you'd otherwise never notice.
No, it isn't. If that's what you want to do that's fine, but please do not suggest that others do the same - at least on this forum. Problems caused by updating drivers unnecessarily are among the most common cause of posts on support forums. Again, drivers should not be updated unless there is a specific need or reason to do so.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:07:08 AM by Allan »

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 07:52:22 AM »
No, it isn't. If that's what you want to do that's fine, but please do not suggest that others do the same - at least on this forum. Problems caused by updating drivers unnecessarily are among the most common cause of posts on support forums. Again, drivers should not be updated unless there is a specific need or reason to do so.

So in all those cases where a driver update could have prevented a laptop from breaking down due to overheating it was a good idea to not at least check the fix-list of the driver to see if there are important updates?

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 08:00:46 AM »
I've been working with personal computers since they were first introduced. The next time I hear of a driver preventing laptop overheating will be the first time. If you have some documented evidence to support your claim feel free to post it - I'm always anxious to learn. Otherwise, let's move on.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:29 AM »
I've been working with personal computers since they were first introduced. The next time I hear of a driver preventing laptop overheating will be the first time. If you have some documented evidence to support your claim feel free to post it - I'm always anxious to learn. Otherwise, let's move on.

http://technorati.com/technology/it/article/nvidia-driver-causing-overheating-problems/
http://www.incgamers.com/News/21293/nvidia-19675-kills-video-cards

Nobody said writing good drivers was easy, but doing it badly can have worse fallout than just a crap refresh rate.

It appears that the NVIDIA 196.75 drivers are causing fan control problems in their video cards, according to some StarCraft II beta testers and reported by IncGamers. The problems have lead to extreme overheating problems, with users reporting temps as high as 104 Celsius.

The issue isn't confined to Starcraft II players, either, potentially affecting any 3D application.

NVIDIA has recommended returning to the 196.32 WHQL drivers, and the latest release has been removed from the NVIDIA webs site.

Driver causing overheating. Rare but not uncommon.  I can't find the laptop example I'm on about. Should I find it, I'll let you know.

namsnice

Topic Starter

Beginner
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 08:41:29 AM »
sir
i am thankful to both of you raptor and allan.
but in my oppenion i am with the raptor i think the drivers are to be updated if they are as a fix.
but i wanna know allan sir, that can updating or not updating driver affect my system upto which extent.

just quoting my original question too. can i get such a software which can scan the laptop for its present versions of drivers, and at least can give me a source of downloading the latest.

looking for a response.
Best Regards
Nams

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
http://technorati.com/technology/it/article/nvidia-driver-causing-overheating-problems/
http://www.incgamers.com/News/21293/nvidia-19675-kills-video-cards

Driver causing overheating. Rare but not uncommon.  I can't find the laptop example I'm on about. Should I find it, I'll let you know.
Those links go to prove my point, not yours. Newer video card driver updates caused overheating in the video cards. It had nothing to do with general laptop overheating, and had you not updated to those drivers there would not have been a problem.

As I've said twice in this thread - do not update drivers unless you need to. NEXT.

Raptor

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 08:53:29 AM »
just quoting my original question too. can i get such a software which can scan the laptop for its present versions of drivers, and at least can give me a source of downloading the latest.

If I have to look for updated drivers I use SIW (http://www.gtopala.com/) to check the hardware and then I look on the manufacturer's webpage of the hardware in question.

I do not use automated software. It's bound to go wrong at some point. Even Windows Update occasionally gives me horrible drivers for hardware.

Some computer/hardware manufacturers offer to scan your computer for you if you don't know what drivers to pick. Creative for one does that. Can be useful if you just can't seem to find the right driver.

If for some reason you need up-to-date drivers you could check out the chip in question, see who the manufacturer is and then go onto the manufacturer's webpage. They will often offer "generic" drivers for hardware. May or may not work. Only make use of this option if you're absolutely certain that the drivers for your computer are unsuitable.

Anyhow, to answer your original question:

actually my friend is using dell inspiron 1545 and when we cheked for the driver updates the www.dell.com gives the latest drivers of 2010 only. no newer updates.
can we get it from any other source.

If there are no updates after 2010, the product is most likely End Of Life or they're only sticking to major updates. Either way, it's probably no use checking back.

What I wrote earlier on only really applies to hardware that's still being supported. It's often safe to assume that for products which are EoL the drivers you're given are stable.

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
Those links go to prove my point, not yours. Newer video card driver updates caused overheating in the video cards. It had nothing to do with general laptop overheating, and had you not updated to those drivers there would not have been a problem.

As I've said twice in this thread - do not update drivers unless you need to. NEXT.

Unless you got a CD with that exact driver on it and installed it from the get-go in which case it's not a new driver, now is it?

You're obviously not a gamer if you think (videocard) drivers should never be updated. Some drivers can give a huge increase in performance.

The OP's question wasn't about whether it was wise to upgrade drivers or not, it was about him wanting to know how he could download drivers and look for updates when he wanted to despite whether it would be wise or not.