Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: printhead on ink cartridge  (Read 2208 times)

pcboo

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    printhead on ink cartridge
    « on: January 11, 2012, 12:24:32 PM »
    i need a new printer. any ideas, apart from HP, which have the printhead in the cartridge instead of the printer itself please. :( :P

Raptor

Re: printhead on ink cartridge
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »
    I was sort of surprised by Canon the last time I was asked to install a printer. It had a wireless feature that actually worked.

HP is the superior manufacturer, though. I rarely have trouble with HP machines. It's always Brother, Cannon and the other brands that cause the most problems for me.

truenorth

Guru

Re: printhead on ink cartridge
      « Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »
      For your guidance:
      Disposable head
      The disposable head philosophy uses a print head which is supplied as a part of a replaceable ink cartridge. Every time a cartridge is exhausted, the entire cartridge and print head are replaced with a new one. This adds to the cost of consumables and makes it more difficult to manufacture a high-precision head at a reasonable cost, but also means that a damaged or clogged print head is only a minor problem: the user can simply buy a new cartridge. Hewlett-Packard has traditionally favoured the disposable print head, as did Canon in its early models. This type of construction can also be seen as an effort by printer manufacturers to stem third party ink cartridge assembly replacements, as these would-be suppliers don't have the ability to manufacture specialized print heads.
      An intermediate method does exist: a disposable ink tank connected to a disposable head, which is replaced infrequently (perhaps every tenth ink tank or so). Most high-volume Hewlett-Packard inkjet printers use this setup, with the disposable print heads used on lower volume models. A similar approach is used by Kodak, where the printhead intended for permanent use is nevertheless inexpensive and can be replaced by the user. Canon now uses (in most models) replaceable print heads which are designed to last the life of the printer, but can be replaced by the user if they should become clogged. For Canon models with "Think Tank" technology, the ink tanks are separate for each ink color.
      truenorth
      P.S. Credit for the above to Wikapedia