Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: registry cleaning  (Read 2925 times)

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

registry cleaning
    « on: January 11, 2012, 07:01:37 PM »
    i just ran my ccleaner on the registry and it found a whole batch of similar items all labeled MISSING SHARED DLL  then WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v 1.0  and  1.1 -------.tlb             earlier today i downloaded a bunch of windows updates and i'm thinking this registry stuff is stuff that was replaced by the 9 new downloads-----but i didn't want the registry "fixed" until i knew that stuff was not important.   can they be deleted safely?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: registry cleaning
    « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:23 PM »
    First, regardless of whether it is "safe" or not, removing the keys will gain you nothing.

Also, googling this was hilariously facepalm worthy with misinformation. ("Microsoft updated excel and because I sent in the spreadsheet for tax info without checking my macros from 1992 they can't be trusted" haha)

Basically, a tlb file is a "type library". In the case of .NET, these are generated for use as COM wrappers around .NET components.

the key here is "generated"; removing these keys won't really gain you anything since they are going to be regenerated when next needed. The difference is .NET will no longer know how many components reference it.

Now, it might not cause problems. But the thing is- leaving them there is not going to cause issues, so why tempt fate?

Sure can, if you want most of your .net applications to start having random issues.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »
    Why do people look into the registry?
    Do they think they can make it better?

This has been hashed and bashed many times. Here are two classics.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001077.htm
    http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php?topic=106036.0

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 01:25:45 AM »
      ok. i'll leave the registry alone  re: cleaning.   but these items are all sorted out from wherever they were found and are now sitting in the list of "issues".         how do i return them to wherever they came from?

phobarbenix

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 01:28:43 AM »
        never mind.   they went away by themselves.....back to never never land.    thanks guys.   i'll try to behave now

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 05:14:00 AM »
        ok. i'll leave the registry alone  re: cleaning.   but these items are all sorted out from wherever they were found and are now sitting in the list of "issues".         how do i return them to wherever they came from?

The items weren't moved in any fashion; the program is just telling you that, according to it's analysis, it could probably delete the keys.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.