Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Java.Byte Verify!Exploit  (Read 4840 times)

italiangrl

Java.Byte Verify!Exploit
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:58:55 PM »
Help!  Everytime my scan runs it shows 8 infected but does not clean them.  From what I've read these aren't too serious but I want to rid them.  Can anyone help?  The info says they are in C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/application data.....  I've tried cleaning the cache but it doesn't work.  I will really appreciate help.  I'm not very illiterate when it comes to this stuff.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Java.Byte Verify!Exploit
    « Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 09:33:26 PM »
     italiangrl......What operating system are you using ?
    C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/application data

So if you go to this location do you see them ?
    Do you have Sun systems java installed ?
    What virus scanner are you using ?

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 09:35:50 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

italiangrl

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:57:41 PM »
    Windows XP

I haven't been able to find them.  If Java came with the computer pkg then that's the only way I think it would be on here.  Not even sure what it does.  I do see on the start up menu "Java Web Start", but not sure if same thing.  
    The virus scanner is thru SBC Yahool Online Protection by Computer Associates and prior to that had EZ Trust and neither cleaned these.   My computer is set to scan every day.
    Thanks...

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 12:25:00 AM »
      italiangrl.....  Try this .......Antispyware beta............
      http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

let us know if it finds anything

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 07:16:47 AM »
      Scan from safe mode.

italiangrl

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 03:05:59 PM »
      can i download this spyware from http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx  if I already have spyware protection without doing harm?  

Also how do you scan from safe mode?  I really, really appreciate this help

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 03:38:21 PM »
        italiangrl...... Yes go ahead and D/l and run antispyware Beta ........no harm will be done .....

To get into safe mode .......as soon as you reboot the pc .......repeatedly tap the F8 key and you will be given differant options ....choose SAFE mode ....... once it loads simply run your scans ......... Note the safe mode looks very differant ........

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 03:40:28 PM »
        1. can i download this spyware from http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx  if I already have spyware protection without doing harm?  

2. Also how do you scan from safe mode?  I really, really appreciate this help

1. Yes, no danger at all. You can even run several spyware scanners simulteanously.

2. I. Before Windows loads, press F8
           II. Select safe mode and press Enter

italiangrl

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 07:56:01 PM »
        1.  I dnloaded and ran the antispyware beta  & it did detect 4 bad files which I deleted, but it did not pickup and did nothing for the same other ones I still have.

2.  the only 2 options i get upon repeatedly hitting the F8 key is 1. go to windows; 2. Boot from CD Rom.  If i choose 2 (without inserting a CD rom-not sure what) it goes thru a slight process and then comes up with other options to: (1) delete all files (automated f disks/format) (2) automated installation windows XP or 2000 (3) Advanced user menu (4) restart computer (X) exit to a command prog.

The 8 bad files are in C:/Documents & Settings/Owner/Application Data/Sun/Java/Deployment/Cache.  at the end each one indicates one of the following: "classload" "dummy class" "insecure class loader" "verifyier bug".  They look like they could be zip files because tht's also in the description, but I can't actually find the files in C drive & subfolders

Any further suggestions or solutions??  I'm sorry I'm such a problem. :(  I recently retired so I don't have IT people to ask for help and I never was very good at solving computer problems!  I would just call them! :)
        Thanks...Italiangrl

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 10:38:11 PM »
          italiangrl......Odd you can't get into safe mode.......what kind of a computer are you using ? Is it a desktop or a laptop ?

The 8 bad files are in C:/Documents & Settings/Owner/Application Data/Sun/Java/Deployment/Cache.  at the end each one indicates one of the following: "classload" "dummy class" "insecure class loader" "verifyier bug".  They look like they could be zip files because tht's also in the description, but I can't actually find the files in C drive & subfolders

lets try this once more .......click on start , then my computer , then Local disk C: then Documents and settings......then owners name ......then Application Data ......then Sun ....then Java ....then Deployment ........then cache .........now then , the files you want to delete should be in the cache folder ......so hilite the cache folder and then right click on it and select delete ........ that should remove them ........

let us know

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 08:00:42 AM »
          Try uninstalling Java completely.

What scanner is picking up the Java cache contents as faulty? A virus or spyware scanner?

italiangrl

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 07:40:11 PM »
          Walla!  I have had success in finding those ugly files and removing them forever, I hope.  Thanks for all your help.  It has been a good learning experience, that's for sure.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »
            italiangrl
            Walla!  I have had success in finding those ugly files and removing them forever, I hope.  Thanks for all your help.  It has been a good learning experience, that's for sure.

We're glad to have been of service.