Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: line 16588 of inf file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid  (Read 14743 times)

volkerkh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    line 16588 of inf file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid
    « on: January 19, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
    hello everyone,i am new at comp hope and ,yes,i hope to find some help.my name is Volker and i have the above problem with my thinkpad 600.i think i accidentally erased NTLDR and now can not boot.with NTLDR MISSING error showing and going in circles with ctrl+alt+delete to restart.i try to boot up with widows xp home edition re installation cd,service pack 2 included but it will not work.i  can get into the bios and set the cd as number one and the hdd number 2 but the  cd will not boot.same thing with hdd as  number 1.i installed xp last year from this cd and it ran fine.so what can i do about  the NTLDR problem and then what about this invalid inf. file which i guess is on the cd?i had thought i could just copy the NTLRD file from this cd!!but she will not boot. >:(    Volker

Salmon Trout

Re: line 16588 of inf file \i386\txtsetup.sif is invalid
    « Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »
    You cannot boot from CD but you still say you get the message that line NNNNN of txtsetup.sif is invalid? This problem often happens with Windows install disk converted to USB flash drive with WinToFlash (because files get corrupted) Other causes are damaged CD or malfunctioning CD drive.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:34:37 AM »
    It also hapens quite often with the "Sharpie" versions of Windows...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

fayaz

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:54:47 AM »
      yep that is the answer for your question
      it s happening from your corrupted compact disk

volkerkh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:36:51 AM »
        Thank you;I was able to boot into lenovo rescue and recovery,think advantage dik from cd drive.I have all these diskettes for my other  x61 laptop and thought in desperation to try this.so pressing f12 or changing 1st boot to  cd in the bios i was able to load the RR module.In the Advantage window I chose Restore System.It started  the Predesktop Installer and  copied a whole bunch of files like many X\i386 system 32 files,help files ,opera,python,rr migration etc,?I then asked me to remove cd and power off and power on.RR configuring your system hourglass spinning came on and please wait  sign.Then the prompt"to restore backup made to cd/dvd please insert the disk labeled "FINAL C".To restore from  a back up copied to cd/dvd insert the LAST disk of the  back up set.After inserting the correct disk reselect cd/dvd in the dropdown menue.
                I do not have any of these  disks-----so I inserted my XP reinstallation disk--nothing---then I tried  the number 6 of my 6 xp 61 lenovo product revovery disk---nothing.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »
        As you are learning you cannot use recovery CD's from one laptop on another laptop...
        Order the Restore CD's from Lenovo...usually they only charge shipping.

volkerkh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
          I do not know what a"SHARPIE VERSION OF WINDOWS"means but it's not a copy  of some sort that I have but  an original xp reinstall disk which came with the purchase of my dell desk top in 2005.I used it once to reinstall the desktop and then on this ibm laptop lenovo 600 which my sister gave me last year.I had to call in for the registration and was  given a number which worked to get XP onto the laptop which had windows 2000 on it before.So I thought it would work again but it won't boot because it is not a boot  disk.I do not think my rescue and discovery module which shows up when I boot and press F11
          works properly because I can not get any response from Event Viewer nor System Info.Was this recovery program installed on these machines at the start(in this case probably  in 2000,or did I partially install it when put the  x61 rescue and recovery disk in the  drive and then tried to boot the  laptop after having changed the bios to boot from  cd first??I had checked that cd on my desktop and found it had  the NTDETECT and  NTLDR files on it and figured I could  somehow copy them from the  RR module.Go figure,another novice.Anyhow I do not need to save any files  nor info so is there any way at all to get back to windows NT or 2000(I have no disks)or to setup somehow, to be able to use the XP Reinstallation disk?Is there any way to get into DOS ,then clean up the mess and start over???Volker

volkerkh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
            hello,my problem persists,my thinkpad  laptop 600 still does not boot up.I tried windows "MAKE MSDOS BOOTDISK"but it will only do this for floopy disks,i.e. the menu for cd's does not provide the option "make bootdisk"Is there a way around this?I could this from the desktop or the thinkpad  x61 laptop both with  windows xp.I checked the internet and found EDDIEMAINTENANC.COM seems to have a fix download for $10.- .Is that safe??and will that work?Thank's Volker

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 10:44:45 AM »
            The only "safe" option would be to order the Recovery CD from IBM...the manuf.
            I wouldn't trust anything else as you don't know what kind of payload may be included...

volkerkh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »
              I tried IBM  on friday,still no  reply.Is there a link for a download?I ended up having to register and providing a list of my problems.Thank's for the reply anyhow.It seems no one else has a clear cut solution for this.as googling the problem seems like every xp user is looking for this fix.I sure did not expect deleting one file(inadvertantly)could cause  an almost insoluble problem.Volker

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 11:15:54 AM »
              Have you checked at the site and/or looked in your Manual if there is a hidden recovery partition ? ?
              If there is you would want to back up any important data on there and run it...
              NOTE: Doing so will wipe ALL existing data and apps and take the laptop back to Day One status...

Let us know before you proceed.

volkerkh

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
                Thank you;As I indicated in my post of Jan.21,I did get to the rr module(Think Advantage) that day and went to option "Restore System".At that point the predesktop inmstaller got to work,copying maby files ,such as:x\i386,system32,x\preboot,help,opera\python\rr migration and more.Then it asked to remove cd and power off and power on.RR window indicates "configuring you system and a widow  with an hourglass turning asking "please wait" appeared.It then  read "to restore a backup made to cd/dvd please insert the disk labeled "final disk"To resstore a baxkup from cd copied to cd/dvd insert the last disk of the set.after inserting the correct cd reselect cd/dvd in the dropdown menu.
                      Since I have neither of these cd's I shut down.Now when get into the rr advantage module nothing shows up under any option.
                      Would someone know if thinkpad 600 had this rr module installed?If not I think I may have installed it ,or part of it,by inserting the X61 thinkpad recovery disk.Now  on bootup I get to bios with F1 or 19990305   .Volker