Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New PC Desktop Build - No turn on  (Read 2925 times)

TGPKast

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    New PC Desktop Build - No turn on
    « on: January 27, 2012, 05:18:32 PM »
    Hello, I've built several computers (including my own that I am using right now) and they have all worked perfectly. This is the first time I've come across this problem and I wanted to see If anyone could help me before I send parts back.

PROBLEM:
    I am building a new computer and have all the components wired and connected correctly but when I press the power button, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING happens. I have all the front panel wires connected to the motherboard correct and checked multiple times using the motherboard manual that comes with. The PSU is working and so is the motherboard because the mobo has a light that says it's working. All of the other components shouldn't matter if the computer won't even start. If I'm wrong about that please correct me.

THE BUILD:
    These are the main components that I ordered, and I'll exclude the GPU, HD, and Optical Drive because those should not matter with the problem I'm having.

PSU:
    APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply

CPU:
    AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX

MOTHERBOARD:
    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CASE:
    Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

RAM:
    CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M4A1333C9

All of these were ordered from Newegg.com (Don't know if I can put that there, remove it if I can't)

If anyone could help me with my problem I would appreciate it greatly.

~TGPKast (Tyler)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: New PC Desktop Build - No turn on
    « Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
    MBoard standoffs all in place ? ?
    Thermal paste applied properly ? ?
    CPU fully seated ? ?

If yes to all the above since it's not your 1st build my 1st 2 suspects would be either the PSU or MBoard DOA...
    You can try a benchtest out of the case with the minimum
    CPU/fan MBoard.
    1 stick of RAM
    Monitor mouse and keyboard.
    PSU.

Let us know...that should narrow it down.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

TGPKast

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
      Thanks for the fast reply. All of the risers are in place, the thermal paste is on as the manufacturer of the paste suggests how to apply, and the CPU has been checked 3 times for full seating. I'll try the minimum power on you suggested with only 1 stick and such and I'll update you when I get a result.

UPDATE~

I just tried what you suggested with no luck. I should also mention that I tried it with only the bare essentials (no added GPU, monitor, mouse, KB). I have also tried resetting the BIOS by both the 2-3 prong method and removing the BIOS battery, neither worked. The computer is still not showing any sign of starting up and as I said before, the mobo lights are lit showing that it is receiving power from the PSU. I have also tried using a different case and still nothing. I could upload pictures of the inside and outside if that would help. Let me know, Thanks.
      « Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 06:44:31 PM by TGPKast »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:26:24 AM »
      Have you tried using the MemOK! button on that mainboard? See your manual
      Make sure all the switches are set to their default position.

Could you tell me what you believe to be the power-on on the mainboard?

TGPKast

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
        The motherboard's power sw prong is labeled 2 times, one on the mobo and the other on an adapter that came with (which was recommended by the manual to use but I find it loose and it does the same thing when I tried it.) It's located to the right of the 4 SATA inputs and under the other 2 SATA and PATA inputs. I have tried the MemOK! switch once but I'll try again later today. When I turn on any of the switches they light up BRIGHT BRIGHT BRIGHT RED so I believe that when the blinding lights are on, that means they are too, so I leave them off until I manage to turn the computer on. Thanks for your reply and I hope that if I cannon fix it with the MemOK! suggestion you might have any other ideas.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 10:39:13 AM »
        I think this may have something to do with it:

FX-4100(FD4100WMW4KGU),3.6GHz,4C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+    ALL    
        3027 Beta support only   

What BIOS version are you at? Should be printed on the box somewhere.

TGPKast

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:07:30 AM »
          The BIOS might actually be the problem. I have an AM3 compatible but I read a wiki (not sure how reliable it is) that said I need to update the bios to support my AM3+. I don't see anywhere on the box of a BIOS version, what key words should I look for? Because I don't see "BIOS" anywhere. (PS, I'm not too familiar with BIOS upgrades, I've never had to do it. I just know how to configure BIOS at a basic level.)

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:23:36 AM »
          It should be a 4-digit number identical to one of the BIOS versions offered for your mainboard. If it's not on the box, it might not be printed any where and the only way to find out is to succesfully turn on the computer.

You should probably see if you can score a cheap AM3 CPU to test your rig and flash the BIOS. I have no experience with beta BIOS so I wouldn't recommend flashing to beta.

TGPKast

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
            I'll ask my friends around if they have any am3 they could lend me for a test. If that doesn't work then the problem might be a faulty motherboard and I think I'll order an am3+ mobo this time to make sure that there are no mistakes. Still can't find the standard BIOS version that came with the board though.

TGPKast

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 03:07:54 AM »
              I have solved my problem, there were 2 of them. After having my friend lend me his processor only for me to find out it wouldn't work, I tried using his power supply and it started up. It still wouldn't work with my CPU so I had to use his then go to the mobo manufacturer website and download the BIOS update for the processor then flash it. It is all running perfectly now, all i need is to replace the faulty power supply.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 03:38:49 AM »
              Oh! That's odd. Wasn't this a new PSU?