Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit  (Read 2578 times)

Erias

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit
    « on: January 22, 2012, 01:43:39 PM »
    When I bought my computer, it came with Windows Vista and a free upgrade to Windows 7 - the 64-bit version.

I took my computer in to repair a while ago and, ever since, my computer has said that only 3 GB of my ram was usable out of 6 GB. I've just found out that the repair shop reinstalled windows 7 but the 32-bit version and that I need to get my 64-bit version back. So, I got my "upgrade kit" and tried to reinstall windows 7 but it only lets me do phase 3 of the upgrade process (which is to restore files). It won't let me get my 64-bit version (phases 1 and 2).

How do I get my 64-bit version of windows 7 back? If I have the code, can I get it online somewhere? I have 2 CDs: a Packard Bell Upgrade Media and a Microsoft Windows Upgrade Media. I understand that I might lose data, but I can reinstall all my games. I just need my ram back to be able to play them...

Salmon Trout

Re: Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »
    What do you mean it "came with Vista"? Did it have Vista installed and then you ran a Windows 7 upgrade disk? If so, I think you will have to get it back to its first condition before you can run the upgrade. Did you get a recovery disk? If not, you may have to order one from the computer maker. Calling their customer service number would be a good first step. Also you may have a valid complaint against the repair shop.

dexedcp1

Greenhorn
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »
      Erias is right.
      You must complaint to repair shop.
      Since the shop formatted the hard drive to install windows 7 32-bit and erase the partition that contain Windows Vista 64-bit your out of luck, with the CD's or DVD's you have.

The only way to get it back to Windows 7 64-bit, is to order the full restore CD's or DVD's from manufacture , since the ones that come with the computer are just the drivers and programs, but it doesn't include the Operating System.
      From there just upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit.

But the easiest way to get it back to Windows 7 64-bit is to get the Full Copy of Windows 7 64-bit from somewhere and just install the drivers and programs you want and your done.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:41 PM »
      I disagree...
      The Vista Restore partition (hidden) is probably still on the PC...
      He can do the Restore...then re-run the Upgrade pack choosing 64Bit in Setup.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "