Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Memory issue with Windows 7 64bit  (Read 3324 times)

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • If In Doubt, Check It Out
  • Experience: Experienced
Memory issue with Windows 7 64bit
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:56:08 AM »
Hello, I have a slight problem with my new upgraded memory. I upgraded my 4GB RAM laptop to 8GB.

As you can see there, my cached option is using ALL my memory, meaning there is no free memory left. This is leaving my laptop running like crap/slow.

I have attached a picture of my task manager, on the performance tab.

Here is my spec:

HP G62 laptop
AMD Turion II P520 Dual-Core processor
8 GB RAM
AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Windows 7 64bit Home Pre.

Thanks

ShaneTFletcher

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]
If In Doubt, Check It Out

truenorth

Guru

Re: Memory issue with Windows 7 64bit
    « Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 08:57:11 AM »
    Have you tired going into your "start" menu and disabling all but the essential programs running at start-up? After doing this you can reintroduce them one at a time to determine which program is causing the issue. truenorth

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
    « Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:03:24 AM »
    Hi TrueNorth. I disabled all start-up programs as I factory restored my laptop, deleted all softwares which I will not use and whatnot. No program is using any memory (programs which are installed that is). After doing all this, the memory was fine, I installed AVG free and still fine.

What I can see from this is that windows updates is killing my memory in svchost.exe. So turned it so it checks but doesnt install updates and the memory seems fine.

Basically, Windows updates is the huge problem.

Now, I have another problem. After running memtest86 for around 5-6 hours, it found around over 1 million errors? I researched this and it seems to be that my motherboard is struggling with the max RAM upgrade. However, my question is that if my motherboard is struggling with the RAM upgrade, will this affect RAM performance?

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:54 AM »
      In trying to get a handle on your issue i have read quite a number of reviews on your laptop (well what i assume is your laptop). There seem to be a number of models of the G62. I was not able to find any reference to the option to upgrade the ram to 8gb so i assume that you did determine that it could be done before you did the upgrade. I am wondering what it was that prompted you to go from 4-8gb/ What were your desires for changed performance and based on what deficiency that you had been experiencing with 4. The reason i ask that is because it was a common report in ALL the reviews (regardless of the model) that they all suffered from trying to do intensive tasks such as games. It is in my opinion a good idea to change your windows update to manual from auto for a variety of reasons. In what manner (size and number) are the 8 gb of ram installed in? Is it all being displayed as available (subject of course to the demands of hardware components)?
       Does this statement reflect  the current situation perhaps as a result of acting upon my earlier suggestion ( what i'm wondering here is has the situation improved since your original post)?"I disabled all start-up programs as I factory restored my laptop, deleted all softwares which I will not use and whatnot. No program is using any memory (programs which are installed that is). After doing all this, the memory was fine, I installed AVG free and still fine." truenorth

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 11:54:10 AM »
      Hi Truenorth, its the g62 - A30SA model. Yes, I looked what the max upgrade was on the laptop before buying.

The reason for upgrading is because the amount of work I am doing, I edit photos, websites, listen to music and much more, so multi-tasking is a big thing here. The performance has been increased with no slow down when several softwares are open.

But the only thing which is annoying me is memtest86 is giving me over 1 million errors. These errors are telling me that my motherboard or PSU is either failing or my RAM is to much to handle.

However, figuring out the memory problem was my main issue and now solved. For the memtest86 errors, I will just ignore them because no errors are found in the O/S.

Thanks anyways.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
      Well it's silly to ignore MemTest because if it reports any errors at all you have a bad stik(s) of RAM...
      Your issues will continue until it's replaced.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
        I totally agree with patio's comments.Which by the way was where i was headed when i was inquiring re the size and disbursement of the ram in the computer. That is to say i was going to have you try and determine which one(s) are causing the issue. If a recently installed ram can be found to be at the root of this then if the purchase was recent it ought to be able to be returned and a replacement procured. So  if you want to go further (which i do recommend you should) then if you know what to do then i urge you to do it. If not we can assist you with that--but again i would NOT ignore it. truenorth

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
        Memory allocation looks normal for Win7-64
        It also says you have 6GB available.  Free memory does no good unless it's being used.

If MemTest is reporting errors, remove the 1 stick & run again.  then swap sticks to see if 1 is bad & not the other.

ShaneTFletcher

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 01:57:15 AM »
        I will do a memtest86 test on each RAM stick, around 5 passes will do.

I did some other tests and surprisingly it passed on the memory side. My personal option is that as the motherboard has maximum RAM inserted, its struggling with the power, meaning errors on the motherboard. The memtest86 does say it tests memory and motherboard, thats why I used several other programs to determine if its the memory or not.
        Also, some people are saying the PSU isn't strong enough, I believe they are talking about a desktop and not laptop (people never read).

If it is the motherboard struggling, would you think its best to have a 6GB RAM instead of 8GB?

Computer_Commando

Hacker
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 05:39:13 AM »
        Change size of Virtual Memory to System Managed.
        Here's my HP notebook for reference.
        I suspect the new memory module is not the same specs as the original.
        Get HWInfo64 & post screen shot: 

[year+ old attachment deleted by admin]