Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Installing software to a second SATA HD question?  (Read 2579 times)

Crafty

Installing software to a second SATA HD question?
« on: January 23, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
Hi, The windows drive on my Pc is becoming full and I want to start installing software like games to a second drive. The question is will there be any slowdown in my games if I install them to a second SATA HD and will any part of the data from the software be installed on the windows HD? If there is any data installed on the windows drive how would I go about deleting it if I wanted to uninstall the software on the second drive? Thankyou!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Installing software to a second SATA HD question?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:40:52 PM »
Should not be a problem. But some free space on the first drive, system drive, for the operating system to work good. Don't let it get to 90% full.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:21 PM »
Whether or not it will still install things on the system drive depends on the software and your settings.

Almost all software will install to another drive without a problem, but some programs (like certain games) will create settings and save files in the user's folder on the system drive, usually under "My Games", but depends on the game. This usually can't be changed. However, the location of the user's folders can be changed, therefore changing the location of where all programs that operate in this way save.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
Any program that stores user-specific data- things like high scores, preferences, settings, etc. should be storing them in the Application Data folder. This usually maps to a folder in the users profile folder. For example, on my system it maps to "C:\Users\BC_Programming\AppData\Roaming". Changing the location of the user profile will change the location of that folder, and I believe some tweak tools can be used to change individual folder mappings for a user, though how robust a solution that will be is another story. And there is of course registry settings which are stored in dat files in the user profile as well.

Usually an uninstaller will remove (and it is supposed to by convention) any registry keys or files it's corresponding installer created or added. However it will often leave behind user data (or occasionally, you will be prompted) on the premise that you are uninstalling the program, but not necessarily the data created with that program. Usually if this occurs you can remove the data by deleting the corresponding folder in %APPDATA%.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Techo

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:24:44 PM »
Hi Crafty

Why do things the hard way. Why not image your old windows drive to the new larger drive and use the larger drive for the boot drive. Most harddrive manufactures supply software to do this. What is the make of your drives and I can suggest some software and advice of how to do this.

:)

Lisa

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 02:08:09 PM »
Hi Crafty

Why do things the hard way. Why not image your old windows drive to the new larger drive and use the larger drive for the boot drive. Most harddrive manufactures supply software to do this. What is the make of your drives and I can suggest some software and advice of how to do this.

:)

Lisa

First of all thank you for all the replies.

Hi Lisa, I could do this because I have my main drive backed up by a program called acronis. However, there is a reason why I don't think it would be a good idea. I find that games are the worst culprits for always causing my computer to crash and to slow down windows, so I figured it would be best to just start installing them to a separate HD. My thinking behind this was that it wouldn't effect the OS if the game did cause a problem, but am I right in thinking this because I'm not entirely sure myself?

Techo

Rookie
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
Hi Crafty

In the days before Windows what you suggest would be correct. Windows games and programs still need a part of the program added to Windows and your user profile even if the main body of the program is on a different drive. So any program that upsets windows will still do so if installed on a different drive.
Arconis will do a drive to drive copy.
Also  it's great you have a backup  :).
The other issue with having programs across 2 drives is that you will need to backup both drives. So I would still suggest using the bigger drive for drive C.

Crafty

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:08 AM »
I think I might just opt for a bigger HD then, but I have one more question. The windows HD drive I have right now is only a small HD drive because it's one of them fast gaming ones. I have backed this up including a small partition that I believe has something to do with how windows installs. I was just wondering if I will use the same recovery method on the new HD like I would for old HD one?