Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help finding a MB  (Read 2604 times)

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Help finding a MB
    « on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:31 AM »
     I am attempting to fine a replacement MB for a HP 735n  and the MB name is ASUS A7N8X-LA

I'm looking for either the exact replacement or something that is compatible
     New or Refurbish is preferred...

Raptor

Re: Help finding a MB
    « Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
    Ebay

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
      There a fe on ebay I'm looking at... but  ???

Looking for

Form Factor uATX
      Socket A or PGA 462

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
      There's one for sale on Ebay. What's wrong with that one? Apparart from it being overpriced, of course.

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »
        the ones I seen are used... I refuse to pay that much for a use part that i dont know what i getting.....
        The problem I having is finding the socket A MB
        theres plenty of uATX MB out there but hardly any with Socket A

I consideriung doing a lil upgrade of MB and CPU.... just wondering what snags I will encounter...

I have read from different sources that it will cause problems with the OS...

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
        If you install a non-identical mainboard you'll most likely end up having to reinstall Windows indeed. Even if you find a similar mainboard, Windows might still require that you re-activate it.

I agree on the absurdly high price but that's what you have to pay for rare hardware of sometimes dubious origin. You could try some second hand websites other than Ebay.

Socket A is no longer being produced which is why you're having a hard time find. Personally, I find it a horrible platform that runs way too hot and I would suggest moving on to the new AMD sockets which are much easier to cool.

If you can't find an exact duplicate, you could look for mainboards that have the following characteristics:

Chipset Name   NVIDIA nForce2
        Chipset 'Northbridge', Revision/Stepping    IGP, A03
        Chipset 'Southbridge', Revision/Stepping MPC2, A04

If these are similar (You can ignore the stepping) there's a good chance Windows will boot up again.

The rest is optional but the more similar to your current mainboard, the more chances of you not having to re-activate: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c00006476&lc=en

Also, this mainboard seems known as "explorer 2"

If you search for "explorer 2 hp" on Ebay, you get a lot more results.

Darthgumby

Beginner
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »
          I would find a motherboard (used are OK as long as they're from a trusted source) that is compatible with your processor and RAM.  You may have to reinstall your OS, but the rest of your hardware should still be compatible and it is far cheaper than getting a new computer. All your files will still be on the hard drive, so you can back them up before the reinstall. Most motherbords cost at or below $100.  Make sure you or someone you know can swap this out, and you should be OK.
          There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

Techo

Rookie
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 08:54:17 PM »
          Hi triad_cowboy
          I'm sorry to say that to use a motherboard that is not an HP spare for that machine is in breach of HP and Microsoft OEM Licence agreement. And for anyone to suggest that you do, is breaking Computer Hopes rules. So to keep using the HP OEM licence for windows you must replace the mother board with the original HP part. Or purchase a retail copy of Windows. 

:(

triad_cowboy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 10:37:28 PM »
            Raptor,

Thanks for your help/ suggestions.... after much searching and  comparing I found one that is very compatible,