Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Help me with my friends comp!  (Read 2017 times)

Shran29

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Help me with my friends comp!
    « on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
    Alright, so my friend was receiving a Thermal Error from her computer. She sent it to me and I took out the CPU, an intel pentium 4, and cleaned off the old thermal paste and reapplied some Arctic Silver 5. However now instead of reading a Thermal Error on the monitor the monitor says it is receiving no signal at all, neither is the keyboard. When I plug it in and turn it on the motherboard and power lights come on, the fans spin as well, but that is all.

I read online that it may be a motherboard problem, or a RAM problem. They said to test this I should turn off the tower and pull out the RAM cards which should make the tower give a long beep. However, this did not happen, in fact nothing happened, no sounds at all. I turned it off and plugged in one card which according to the site should have given me separate but consecutive beeps, this didn't happen either.

Could someone please help fix her computer?! Thanks

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Help me with my friends comp!
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »
    Reseat the CPU/heatsink and double check thermal paste applied. The thermal events could have failing or damaged either components as you posted.