Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Are all laptops HDD the same?  (Read 1920 times)

Akod

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Experienced
    Are all laptops HDD the same?
    « on: January 28, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
    Hi everyone,
    I want to know whether all laptops use the same kind of Hard Disks? I am using a Dell Latitude D410 which is 12'' wide. I want to upgrade to a huge HDD. Would my machine use the same HD that a 17'' wide laptop may use? Thanks.
     ???

truenorth

Guru

Re: Are all laptops HDD the same?
      « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
      Essentially the only commonality that can be stated as universal is the physical size of the HDD which is 2.5 inches versus 3.5 inches for desktops. Depending on the vintage of the computer (both laptops and desktops) will use different types of HDD such as ide or sata. As well again depending on age of the computer there can be a limitation as to the size (amount of available memory) that a computer will recognize as available regardless of how much the actual HDD has. This is not as much a factor with today's current computers.In the sense of your question where my interpretation of "huge " as you imply is amount of memory on the HDD. In which case the is really not a valid comparison as some desktops may have less than some laptops and vice-versa . In your specif example where the different parameter is the screen size that could be the same as between desktops and laptops. In an area of dimension which i am not knowledgeable enough to be certain is that perhaps as the memory amounts get toward the upper end of the possibilities perhaps the drive may get thicker and therefore might pose a problem re available space in your case.Other members may wish to comment for you on that.truenorth