Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Screen corruption upon boot Linux Ubuntu  (Read 14708 times)

Raptor

Screen corruption upon boot Linux Ubuntu
« on: February 02, 2012, 05:14:15 AM »
I've got a copy of Linux Ubuntu 11.10 64bit installed on one of my machines (VIA chipset, AMD processor) and every time it boots, the screen starts acting as if though the videocard is defective.

I know that isn't the problem because it boots Windows just fine. It also starts working again I run the recovery console which lets me boot into Linux and use it like I normally would.

I've waited way too long with resolving this problem as I am rather clueless when it comes to these kinds of problems in Linux so I don't quite recall the changes I have made to the system but I do know most of them had very little impact:

• Changed from Unity to Gnome 3
  • Messed around with the start-up Daemons
  • Installed a Linux version of Hard Disk Sentinel[/i]
    • Hooked up a bunch of hard drives (SATA/PATA/USB)[/i]
    I believe that's about all of the major changes I've made. This version of Linux is installed alongside Windows XP.
    Hardware is in order.

Any idea what could be causing this? How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Screen corruption upon boot Linux Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:01:53 AM »
I have know idea. Do you have another video card for testing?
What I would try is to get another version of Ubuntu in 32 bit, boot it from the 'live' CD and  see how it goes.
Also, the Ubuntu people have a very dative chat room. If other people have had this kind of issue they might know about it.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:18 AM »
the screen starts acting as if though the videocard is defective

What do you mean? What happens? Do you get a "no signal" message?

It also starts working again I run the recovery console which lets me boot into Linux and use it like I normally would.

Are you talking about choosing recovery mode from the grub menu? What do you do exactly?

Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:40:15 AM »

This.

Try Ctrl-Alt-+ (numeric keypad) to cycle through X Windows resolution modes.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 (/F2/F3/etc.) will get you to a console.  From there you can log into a shell for further diagnosis or to edit the X Windows config files.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 06:43:57 AM »

At first I get the desktop with the mouse arrow but without the taskbar. Then I move the mouse and the screen just garbles up into something that resembles a broken laptop videocard.

What I would try is to get another version of Ubuntu in 32 bit, boot it from the 'live' CD and  see how it goes.

It has worked, it's not a compatibility issue. The videocard is just fine. It happens at a very specific instance and never beyond or before that.

Are you talking about choosing recovery mode from the grub menu? What do you do exactly?

Yes, that is the recovery menu I am speaking of.

Here's what I do:

• Turn on computer; boot Linux; Linux corrupts/crashes
  • Do a warm reset
  • Choose recovery mode in GRUB
  • Tell it to scan for corrupt files
  • Tell it to look for updates (I believe this phase is not necessary as it doesn't find anything)
  • Tell it to do a clean boot

Voila, corruption removed until the next reboot.

Weird, eh?

I just recall installing an application that monitors Daemons and caches files based on how often they're used thinking it would improve performance (Which is kind of shoddy on this machine Asus A8V/AMD Athlon 64 S939/512MB DDR 1/PATA 80GB|7200RPM).

I believe the corruption started before that, though.

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:48:10 AM »
This.

Try Ctrl-Alt-+ (numeric keypad) to cycle through X Windows resolution modes.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 (/F2/F3/etc.) will get you to a console.  From there you can log into a shell for further diagnosis or to edit the X Windows config files.

I just did a warm reboot and the problem occurred again on normal boot.

I have pressed CTRL + ALT + Numeric Plus (At the same time, right?) but this doesn do anything.

Switching to a console does work. However, I have no clue what to do from there.

Also, I am using a HP Ergo Ultra VGA 15" CRT monitor so perhaps it is indeed a refresh rate or resolution mismatch.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 05:35:43 AM »
Refresh rate, almost certainly.  Any other monitors available to you?

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »
Refresh rate, almost certainly.  Any other monitors available to you?

But the monitor is not at fault, right? It runs just fine for hours at the time.
Unfortunately, all the other monitors I have are in use and too large to be fitted where the current one is standing.

I'll look into editing whatever files are related to the refresh rate and resolution under Linux. This is the way to go, yes?

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 08:56:56 AM »
A CRT can give up the ghost like this after a while.  Start here re configuration.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
So I've been looking up a lot of information on how to adjust the screen resolution from within the terminal but I'm not having much luck.

When I use xrandr it tells me that no screen is available. When I use the GUI tool it calls the screen "unknown".

Any clues on where to start? I also get conflicting reports about what exactly constitutes the program used for displaying stuff in Ubuntu. I run into a lot of old posts and the suggestions there are outdated. A lot of things seem to change rapidly in Linux land.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 07:07:16 AM »
You're right - a lot does change.  Is reinstalling out of the question at this stage?  Ubuntu/Debian are pretty good at correctly detecting hardware upon first install.  Mind you, they might baulk at such a crusty old user monitor.  ;)

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
Well I guess I could reinstall but it is sort of a brute-force method and I know how to reinstall Ubuntu. I'd rather learn how to resolve this problem. I know the problem lies in Ubuntu not detecting the screen properly so from what I understand, all I need to do is change or add a text file that tells Ubuntu what resolution and refresh rate to use.

The odd thing is that using the recovery console does allow it to boot properly so I assume that just like in Windows, Ubuntu has an option to boot using a VGA-safe mode.

Oh well. I'll look into it again when I have some more time. Maybe ask on the Ubuntu boards.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:00:36 AM »
That's your best bet.  X is a complex beast and I've lost track with it's specific implementation in the latest distros.  It used to boil down to one engine/drive and a config file.  There's a bit more to it now.  Ubuntu boards (or Debian boards) are a good place to go for the full gen.

JJ 3000

Egghead
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »
Raptor, do

lspci -k

Post the output here.
Save a Life!
Adopt a homeless pet.
http://www.petfinder.com/

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
Code: [Select]
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T800Pro Host Bridge
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe
Kernel driver in use: agpgart-amd64
00:00.1 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T800Pro Host Bridge
00:00.2 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T800Pro Host Bridge
00:00.3 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T800Pro Host Bridge
00:00.4 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T800Pro Host Bridge
00:00.7 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8T800Pro Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237/8251 PCI bridge [K8M890/K8T800/K8T890 South]
Kernel modules: shpchp
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Asus)
Kernel driver in use: skge
Kernel modules: skge
00:0b.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 02)
Subsystem: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3112 SATALink Controller
Kernel driver in use: sata_sil
Kernel modules: sata_sil
00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V600/K8V Deluxe/K8V-X/A8V Deluxe motherboard
Kernel driver in use: sata_via
Kernel modules: sata_via
00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A7V600/K8V-X/A8V Deluxe motherboard
Kernel driver in use: pata_via
Kernel modules: pata_via
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
Kernel driver in use: uhci_hcd
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 81)
00:10.4 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 86)
Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8237 ISA bridge [KT600/K8T800/K8T890 South]
Kernel modules: i2c-viapro
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe motherboard (Realtek ALC850 codec)
Kernel driver in use: VIA 82xx Audio
Kernel modules: snd-via82xx
00:11.6 Communication controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 80)
Kernel modules: snd-via82xx-modem
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
Kernel driver in use: k8temp
Kernel modules: k8temp
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev a1)
Subsystem: Guillemot Corporation 3D Prophet II MX
Kernel driver in use: nouveau
Kernel modules: nouveau, nvidiafb, rivafb