Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Strange Noise from my computer  (Read 3237 times)

Bringer23

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Strange Noise from my computer
« on: February 06, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
This is my first time posting so go easy on me.

I have had the hardest time figuring out what the problem is with my girlfriend's computer. Every once in a while there will be a loud humming that comes from it. I checked the fan, CPU fan and disk drive. So I could only assume it is the hard drive. So after reading that the kind of noise I am experiencing could mean your hard drive is about to brick, I replaced it. Then mysteriously the noise came back. I had burrowed her hard drive and put it in my computer to transfer things and noticed that it never made the same sound it was making before. I really don't know where to go from here. Thanks for anything you guys can help me with.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Strange Noise from my computer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:42:06 PM »
Bad hd's make a ticking sound, not a humming sound. Take the cover off the case and next time you hear the sound try to identify the source. And if it's an "electrical hum", it could be any number of things starting with the power supply.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
Could be the metal case resonating or "thrumming" I guess. When it's doing it, can you make the sound change by pressing the case gently? Is there a fan on the graphics card?

Bringer23

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
I have opened the case while it was making the noise and it is coming from the hard drive. I guess it could be called a ticking sound but it kinda sounds like something is spinning bad. The only way to stop the sound it is to wait til the noise starts making a particular sound and then bum the machine. It seems to take 20 minutes or so before you can bum it back to normal. After that everything will work fine for a while and then randomly it will start making it again.

Bringer23

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
I have messed around with the graphics card and it doesn't seem to be the problem. Pressing on the case doesn't do anything, but if you bum it before "the golden noise" is made it stops and then sounds like it slowly building up speed back to the noise before.

Allan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »
It's either ticking or humming - two entirely different sounds. And I don't know what "bum the machine" means.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
it is coming from the hard drive. I guess it could be called a ticking sound

That does sound like a failing hard drive. Some people call it the "click of death". You say 2 drives have done this now. I'm not sure what you mean by this...

bum the machine.

...but if you mean "hit" or "bang" then I'm not surprised your hard drives don't last long.

Darthgumby

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 02:01:07 PM »
    Have you tried mounting it elsewhere in the case, and making sure the screws are tight?  If you're sure it is the hard drive, what did you replace it with?  It is possible that you may have two bad drives for the same reason.  I can't imagine a completely different drive would make the exact same noises though.  If so it is probably not the drive but something else within the case or how it is mounted.
    There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:48 PM »
    If so it is probably not the drive but something else within the case or how it is mounted.

Or bummed?

Bringer23

Topic Starter

Starter

• Yes
    « Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
    Sorry, thought I spell check myself. I meant "bumped". In all honestly I am not sure how well she treats her computer. She had just figured out the bumping thing and I thought it might help in finding out the problem if I posted it. I don't remember exactly what brands the hard drive are but I know they aren't the same brand. I will check tonight and post them.

The case doesn't have screws for mounting but has a plastic piece that you slide in to hold the drives in place. So thatr might just be the problem of those plastic pieces getting lose. I have tried moving the hard drive around, but I think tonight I will try again.

Allan

• Mastermind
    « Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
    Bumping or jostling a hard drive while it's receiving power (and even when it's not, for that matter) is a good way to damage it.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 04:31:19 PM »
      As an assist to making absolutely sure it (the noise) is actually coming from the hard-drive you can remove it from the computer case and place it on a secure surface beside the tower. It is not necessary to disconnect the cables to perform this test.However make sure that you have the power turned off when you remove/reinstall the HDD.Also ensure that you touch the metal case before touching the HDD to ensure any static electricity is discharged. With the HDD outside the case you will be able to hear very clearly if that is where the noise is coming from.truenorth