Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Roland GS SC-55 MIDI module  (Read 4260 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Roland GS SC-55 MIDI module
    « on: February 07, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
    Hey guys, I got another Roland GS SC-55 MIDI module in the mail today, and I found out that the right audio output connector (phono plug) has a loose soldering connection.  Would it be worth it to have a person with great soldering skill re-solder the connection, or would I have that unit sent to Roland for repair if I want to get the audio jack working properly?  No audio will come out of the right channel unless I press down on the plug when attached to it.  The loose soldering connection is the only issue.  The headphone jack isn't giving me trouble, so I'm using that for the time being.  (I didn't post about the first SC-55 I got as it has no problems.)
    « Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:02:32 PM by Ryan »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Roland GS SC-55 MIDI module
    « Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 07:55:01 PM »
    Send it back for replacement...
    If the person with great skills buggers it you've voided any Warranty.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
      Send it back for replacement...
      If the person with great skills buggers it you've voided any Warranty.

I see.  So you're saying it may not be worth the risk.  Should I have it sent to a Roland service center for repair?

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 06:43:02 PM »
        Patio, I have good news. 

I took the module to my Uncle Bill.  He actually succeeded in fixing the broken right audio output.  (No harm was done to the unit.)  The right audio jack's problem was caused by a solder joint that wasn't connected properly.  (Somebody must have done work on it earlier.)  On top of that, the board wasn't seated on the bottom cover correctly and the CR2032 battery was leaking.  It has a new battery now, the main board is properly grounded, and the solder issue is gone.  My uncle also verified that the jacks were working completely when he tested the output and input jacks with a multimeter.  None of the jacks were intermittent.  The issue with the leaking battery prompted me to check out the battery in my first Roland SC-55, and I found out that it was just barely starting to leak.  It's a good thing the package came with two CR2032 batteries.  My uncle's notice of the battery issue helped to save both modules.  The only thing left is to check my Roland SC-88Pro to make sure it isn't having the same battery problem.  (I hope it is not.)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 10:15:01 PM »
        Good news indeed...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »
          I have made a decision to revive my old topic at the moment.  I noticed something went wrong again with the module I had my uncle fix the audio output problem on.  While the right output in the rear still works, the left output now isn't working right.  I may have disconnected and reconnected the audio cables too often, affecting the soldering connections.  This is going to force me to use the front audio jack again.  Whenever I insert the cables into the jacks, the jacks move backwards just a bit.  On top of it, the audio input connectors haven't been working prior to this.  I'm going to have to save my money and get one that works well.