Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Pen drive facing copying error  (Read 3897 times)

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    Pen drive facing copying error
    « on: March 04, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
    Dear Experts,
                        Have a USB hard drive prob here. When I tried copying a 7.35 gb file into my 8 gb pendrive (7.56 usable), Windows shows me this error:

The destination you have specified does not exist. It might be an offline network location or an empty CD or DVD drive. Check the location and try again. Needless to say, the pendrive is connected to the computer and the computer even detects it. thats y i was able to prompt the copy/paste in the first place. i even formatted the usb, but didnt work. pls hlp me guys.

Raptor

Re: Pen drive facing copying error
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:40 AM »
    Smaller files go O.K?

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:59:57 AM »
      Raptor,

When i tried putting a 2.6 gb file earlier, i faced the same prob. but then the pendrive was full, and 2.64 gb was the only space available. does it have anything to do with the pendrive getting almost filled up?

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:49 AM »
      It may have to do with your Windows ver.
      I recall a 2G limit for file transfer...not sure which OS though.
      There are file-splitters out there...check majorgeeks and or sourceforge for Free solutions.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:14:43 AM »
      FAT32 can't do more than 4GB per file.

I'd split the file up in chunks of one GB and then try again, like Patio suggested.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:19:40 AM »
      Also as a side not on the 2.5G move...if the free space is that close to the file being sent Windows will block it automatically...it builds in a certain amount of "overhead " for file size and free space...can't find documentation but i believe it's approx 12% or so.

Sheese...i can't find anything in my brain this morning...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »
      1. If the pen drive is formatted with FAT filesystem, the largest file size allowed is 1 byte less than 4 GB. Attempts to create a larger file, whether by copying/moving or some other way, will fail with an error. The error message may vary depending on the software being used.

2. Due to the difference between a disk manufacturer's gigabyte, which is 1,000,000 bytes, and a file system gigabyte which is 1,073,741,824 bytes, an "8 GB" pen drive shows up to a computer as having 7.45 GB usable. (Don't know where the 7.56 figure comes from?)

3. Pen drives store data in flash memory cells that are grouped into pages, with the pages grouped together into blocks. Flash memory cells can only be directly written to when they are empty. If you are trying to jam a file into the free space that nearly fills it up, there may not be enough free blocks left, especially if the disk is fragmented. Also, as Patio notes, there is a certain amount of space reserved for file system overhead. One more thing, check that you have not got a bunch of "deleted" files in the Recycle Bin.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:47:50 AM by Salmon Trout »

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
        guys my pendrive is NTFS. I guess patio is right when i put smaller files in it works :). and windows shows 7.56 gb available in my computer. OS - Win 7 Home Basic

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »
          Thnx dude u rock. funny I didn't find this when i googled.

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:08 AM »
            funny, but i tried this with another of my pendrives and found no prob at all. since when did transcend becum bttr than kingston? prob solvd anyways.

XtrGamer

Topic Starter

Beginner
              « Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 01:39:46 AM »
              am trying the same thing wid my transcend pendrive (this one was kingston) both are 8 gb, but usable is different. kingston has more.