Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: beeping  (Read 3452 times)

keef

beeping
« on: September 13, 2005, 07:21:36 PM »
hello. i apologize in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

anyhow, whenever i play a computer game, my computer starts to beep. i played world of warcraft all summer without this happening, however, when i started playing guilds wars i get the beeping.  it doesnt just come out of the speakers, but also the tower itself. also, now when i play WoW, i get the beeping as well. one time my pc even went as far as shutting itself off.

my specs are  amd athlon 64 2ghz
                      512 mb ram
                      ati radeon 9600 se

i monitored my processess with ctrl-alt-delete thing, and when i play a game, the graph goes up to cpu usage 100%.  thats when the beeping starts. now as soon as i turn the game off or minimize it, the graph also goes down and the beeping stops.  i have a decent processor. is something wrong with my ram?

also, i installed a demo for a game, and the installer polled my system to make sure i could run it.  it said the demo required 512mb and that i had 511mb. i thought that was odd

thanks

keef

Re: beeping
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 07:23:46 PM »
oh, by the way. i know that sometimes beeping is the tower saying something in the form of a pattern. but i cant discern any special pattern. it seems to be random beeping.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 07:53:20 PM »
Try this:

In Windows XP, click Start | Control Panel | Switch to Classic View

In Control Panel, double-click Accessibility Options.

In Accessibility Options, select the Keyboard tab.

Uncheck Use Toggle Keys, then click the Toggle Keys Settings button.

Uncheck Use Shortcut.

Click OK and click OK again.

That may do it,
Doc

keef

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 09:18:14 PM »
no that wasnt it.  i got the beeping about three minutes after launching guild wars.  i have another 512 of ram being delivered tomorrow.  i hope it helps.   if anyone could think of anything else, it would be awesome.

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2005, 07:49:21 AM »
What are your system temperatures?

keef

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2005, 10:45:31 AM »
In BIOS it says system temperatures 40C.  It's just when i try to run a game or something to scan my system that it starts beeping.  My CPU usage goes up to 100% much too fast, and i dont know why.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2005, 10:55:03 AM »
In BIOS it says system temperatures 40C.  It's just when i try to run a game or something to scan my system that it starts beeping.  My CPU usage goes up to 100% much too fast, and i dont know why.

100% CPU usage is normal.  Temp should stay below 60*C at 100%.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2005, 01:58:47 PM »

What are the temperatures at the time of the beep?

keef

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 02:56:04 PM »
well i must have killed my pc today. i was upgrading the RAM from 512mb to 1g by adding another stick of 512.  I have 3 slots for RAM on my motherboard.  The original stick only worked in the middle slot.  It made more sense to put the new stick in the first slot, having the first 2 occupied.  I got no response from my tower.  I tried the new stick in my 3rd slot then i got beeping from a POST saying that i have no RAM in my motherboard.  Now i just have my original stick back in the middle slot, and still just get the POST beeping.  

help!!!

keef

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 03:37:38 PM »
ok new update.  the old ram is working in the middle slot once again.  a friend came over and had to really force it in there.  however, the new ram still doesnt work in the 1st and 3rd slots.  is my mobo crap?

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 04:05:42 PM »

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 08:48:12 AM »
ok new update.  the old ram is working in the middle slot once again.  a friend came over and had to really force it in there.  however, the new ram still doesnt work in the 1st and 3rd slots.  is my mobo crap?

Did the connectors melt?

If not, RAM should always fit. Assuming you have bought the correct RAM, that is.

keef

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 10:45:56 AM »
I dont think they are melted.  Its a relatively new PC, and the RAM has only and always been in the middle slot.  slots 1 and 3 seem to just not work.  But even so, shouldnt my pc still turn on?  i put the new memory in an empty slot and the good memory should still work with the middle slot.

keef

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2005, 11:12:24 AM »
my roommate just put the stick of 512 in his PC to give him a total of 1G and it works fine.  so apparently something must be wrong with my 1 and 3 slot.  is there anyway i can tell or fix them?

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 11:31:24 AM »
I dont think they are melted.  Its a relatively new PC, and the RAM has only and always been in the middle slot.  slots 1 and 3 seem to just not work.  But even so, shouldnt my pc still turn on?  i put the new memory in an empty slot and the good memory should still work with the middle slot.

Is slot #1 for DDR RAM and # 2 and #3 for SDRAM? Check the mainboard manual.