Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Proxyes  (Read 31519 times)

garybear

Proxyes
« on: February 10, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
Hello! I'm curios about proxies. I know a little but would like to know more. I know that you can hide your identity by using a proxy IP address. Can someone tell me if someone can get access to my PC and use my IP address to send out information or maybe to access a web site. I have heard that the Chinese can't get on facebook and so they try to get on facebook by using IP addresses here in the USA. The reason I'm asking this question is  because I was on a forum one time that was in the USA , but they were a Chinese company.
MBAM blocked several hundred IP addresses from coming in to my PC. MBAM never blocked any out going then. I stopped visiting that forum.
Today I clicked on a topic here on CH and MBAM blocked a out going IP. I only see this happen rarely.  My question to a guru is did this Russian IP address get in my computer because I clicked on it here at CH and then it tried to send information out or tried to use my IP to send spam or some other thing?? If this is a touchy or tabo subject just delete this topic. I'm always trying to learn some thing new.
Sense this happened today, it got me curious again. I have had this explained before on other forums and they always want me to get checked out by their malware fighters. I assure you I'm not infected. Just curious!! The last time I looked that spam topic was still alive here on CH. It needs to be deleted!!
Thanks!
PS My neighbor got infected once and her email sent out hundreds of *censored* adds. It took me a long time to get her PC cleaned up.
She now runs MBAM in real time.  :D

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru

garybear

Re: Proxyes
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 05:34:26 PM »
Hi!! Thanks Allan!! I think that be a little over my head.  ;) I'll going to try to learn a little more about them.

garybear

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »
Hi! Is it possible to some how use my IP address as a proxy??  I mean can someone get access to my PC and then use my IP address to access a site like facebook?? Someone tried to use my IP  today to send outgoing data and MBAM blocked it. I'm probably wrong about that, but that's the way I understand it. If I'm wrong please correct me. I really want to learn about this subject. If anyone knows, it's people on CH. MBAM some how knew that IP was a malicious IP today and blocked it and then told me with a pop up. I think MBAM has a long list of these malicious IP and some times MBAM reports False positives. What I don't understand is MBAM usually blocks the IP incoming. Today it was out going.I just remembered some thing else. I use Skype and some times MBAM will warn me that Skype is trying to send some thing out going. I think that is a up date or maybe just a FP. I'm 99.99% sure I'm not infected. As I stated earlier I goggled this IP and it was a Russian IP.  91.204.73.23. I'm just very curious about all this and I'm sure some one here on CH forum can explain this where I can understand it.
Thanks!!

garybear

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 12:28:35 AM »
Good morning!! Can't sleep. Surely there is someone here at CH that can explain what happened to me yesterday. As I have stated previous, if this is tabo subject, just delete this whole topic. I don't want to cause CH any trouble.
Yesterday I clicked on to a topic here at CH and was told it was a spammer and I should report it and that's all I should do. I didn't know any better, so I went a little further. Now I know what to do next time that happens.
I want to know a little more than that however.
As soon as I clicked on that topic here at CH, MBAM popped up a balloon in my right hand corner telling me this was a malicious IP and it was blocking 91.204.73.23 from going outbound.
At first that scarred me just a little, but then being curios latter; and because no one had removed the topic. I clicked on it a couple more times. Curiosity killed the cat  :D. I feel I'm well protected and I always have several back up images on two different external drives that I can use to restore my PC, so there is very little that scares me. I can also get back to factory if I have to.
Every time I clicked on that topic here at CH, MBAM blocked that same IP address from getting out.
One member told me they weren't sure what happened, but I should have enough sense not to click on topics like that, and I should be smart enough not to click on them. I was told also I should run scans with my protection Apps. which I did and found nothing. A few tracking cookies. This is the very reason I run MBAM in real time with MSE. I have been told there could be a conflict. The only conflict I see is MBAM is protecting me from malicious web sites.
Surely there is a guru here on CH that is smart enough to explain this in terms this dumb old Okie can understand.
I'm not blaming CH for any thing and if this is tabo,just delete the whole xxxx thing, but I'm just a little more than curious at this time.
I know some forums don't like to talk about proxies. School kids use them to try and access web sites that have been blocked. They can get into real serious trouble by doing that. I'm sure CH is aware of people using to them to access this site illegally also, so I understand it might be a touchy subject here. Just delete this whole topic. I promise I will understand.
I sure would like to know about this though!! ??? ???

reddevilggg

Expert

• Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 05:48:55 AM »
There are quite a few good sites in the link that Allan gave, that explain proxies simply. It cant be described any easier. Read them and research. There is masses of information on the internet, just because it is explained here, wont make it easier to understand. I just googled 'Proxys explained' and got a load of site that give good descriptions. Computer Hope is a computer help site, not a school. Google is your friend.
11 cheers for binary !

garybear

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »
There are quite a few good sites in the link that Allan gave, that explain proxies simply. It cant be described any easier. Read them and research. There is masses of information on the internet, just because it is explained here, wont make it easier to understand. I just googled 'Proxys explained' and got a load of site that give good descriptions. Computer Hope is a computer help site, not a school. Google is your friend.
Hello friend!! This is a off topic thread where I thought you could talk about any thing. What happened yesterday when I clicked on that spam thread and MBAM blocked a malicious IP needs to be addressed here on CH. I believe it should be discussed here on CH, unless it is a tabo subject. I don't get to upset when MBAM pops up a warning that it blocked a malicious incoming IP . When I get concerned is when MBAM pops up a warning that it blocked a outgoing malicious IP . To me that means some thing got by my protection and now it's trying to get back out and I haven't requested that to happen. I know I can Google this and I have. Now I'm sharing what I think on the forum. If I'm making wrong statements about this, please correct me. If I'm making sense, please agree. I have a school in a retirement village where I teach school to seniors and I will be teaching about this one day.
I know this is about proxies, but this is not off topic. A long time ago I used a program called TOR. Not sure exactly how it worked. I just know it assigned you a proxy IP which would simply disguise your identity. You could share band width also and allow members to use your IP. This was helpful to countries that block their people from certain sites in the USA. Facebook is a good example.
I know I'm a newbie here at CH, but I'm not a newbie to the computer world. I fully understand the information you can get from Google. I also understand the great information you get from forums like CH. I'm self taught and almost all I know came from forums like this one. I never said I didn't know about proxies; I said I wanted to learn more. I clicked on Allan's link and read a lot of the information there about proxies. If you want to share what you know sir, I'm all ears.
Thank you for your reply!!
PS I believe what may have happened yesterday this malicious IP address was trying to use me as a proxy without my permission and I don't like that. I'm not blaming CH for this. I'm just trying to make them aware of what I think happened. If any one thinks I'm full of it, please let me know on this thread. I have a very thick skin and I don't mind at all when someone disagrees with me. Some times I am full of it. ;D ;D

garybear

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 09:34:03 AM »
Proxies can be used for good things. They can also be used for evil things. A evil thing would be to use a proxy to log on to CH and cause trouble. I was mistaken for some one that has done that. My privileges were taken away for a short time. I was not that person and the owner here at CH cleared that all up. People that do these things should be exposed and banned from this forum. There always will be trouble makers. We don't need or want them here..If your a spammer, don't waste your time here on CH, we will find you and ban you before you can cause trouble; I should say our moderators will find and ban you.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »
I have a school in a retirement village where I teach school to seniors and I will be teaching about this one day.
Can you explain why senior citizens in a retirement village need to know about proxies?  I am one of the volunteer teachers at a senior center in my area in Ohio and I and, I'm sure, my fellow instructors, see no need to teach these folks about proxies. 

garybear

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 10:00:08 AM »
Can you explain why senior citizens in a retirement village need to know about proxies?  I am one of the volunteer teachers at a senior center in my area in Ohio and I and, I'm sure, my fellow instructors, see no need to teach these folks about proxies.
It would only be teaching advanced seniors and only if they asked me. Most is about facebook, emails, safe surfing, Skype ect. You might be surprised how many ask if I know about proxies. If you see no need, that is your decision. Thank you for volunteering to teach us old folks. We need all the help we can get. We didn't grow up with a laptop in our crib :) Now do you have any thing to add to or disagree with what I have posted on this thread.
PS I also fix their PC's for free when I can and give them one on one in their apartments or cottages. PC's can be great entertainment for old people that can't do very much. Thanks again for helping us old people. You are much appreciated. ;) ;)

garybear

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 12:05:13 PM »
Hi soybean. Slow day here at CH. I sure would be interested in what you and your instructors teach seniors. I'm always looking for new ideas. I mostly share what I know and wait for questions and then do my best to answer them.
I call it a computer club and it's surprising what you learn when you are sharing with others. You might also be surprised that all Okies are not red neck Republicans  ;D, and we also know how to use computers. Not surprising most senior problems are fixed with a reboot or unplugging their router power, counting to 20 and plugging it back in. :) That always makes me a big hero, and they even remember some times what to do after showing them. Seniors are nice people and they appreciate every thing. Not like smart xxx young people now days, that think they know every thing there is to know and have no respect for the elderly.

garybear

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:46 PM »
Hey John Riley!! Your in box is full!! tried to answer your PM.
John ! Do not use proxies to avoid blocked sites at your school. You can get into serious trouble and can get expelled .
I do use MBAM with MSE. They get along just fine.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 02:43:06 PM by garybear »

Salmon Trout

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 02:51:47 PM »
John Riley

Sounds familiar... I thought he was 73, though.

garybear

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
:)
I just know John sent me a PM. don't know his age!!

garybear

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
Sounds familiar... I thought he was 73, though.
Don't know John Riley.
I 'm a big fan of Obama !!