Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: No sound??  (Read 6104 times)

Zo

No sound??
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:16:16 PM »
There must be some secret to installing the sound card drivers that I have not found.  After installing Windows 98 on an IBM 300GL, I tried three different sound cards, one I took from another 300GL that works on the other machine.  I cannot get it to load the driver...the yellow question mark stays on the device manager.  I've tried opening and extracting the files, browsing to the temporary folder, and it just will not accept the driver (which I downloaded three different times).  I even read the information on sound cards on the computer hope page.  Can anyone give me more advice?

Thanks for taking the time...I'm flustered again.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: No sound??
    « Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:25:12 AM »
    Are you sure you downloaded the correct driver?
    What soundcard, what driver?

vibhor_agarwalin

Adviser

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 02:21:06 AM »
      Yup,

Matching a sound card with its driver is often a tricky thing.
      Vibhor Kumar Agarwal

Zo

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 04:04:44 AM »
      The sound card has a model number on it, so I searched for the model number and downloaded the version for Windows 98.

Fed

• Sage
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 03:47:47 PM »
        Are you sure you downloaded the correct driver?
        What soundcard, what driver?

Get Everest Home Edition to see what sound card you have.
        http://www.lavalys.com/

Mac

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2005, 05:15:16 PM »
        There must be some secret to installing the sound card drivers that I have not found.  After installing Windows 98 on an IBM 300GL, I tried three different sound cards, one I took from another 300GL that works on the other machine.  I cannot get it to load the driver...the yellow question mark stays on the device manager.  I've tried opening and extracting the files, browsing to the temporary folder, and it just will not accept the driver (which I downloaded three different times).  I even read the information on sound cards on the computer hope page.  Can anyone give me more advice?

Thanks for taking the time. I'm flustered again.

Did you try uninstalling the old driver where the yellow exclamation mark is showing?

Card is properly seated and all wiring in the box is in place.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 06:40:40 AM »
        How are you trying to install these drivers?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 12:55:28 PM »
        The sound card has a model number on it, so I searched for the model number and downloaded the version for Windows 98.

Did you get the drivers from the sound card manufacturer's own Web site, or from some other driver download site?

Zo

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 03:59:52 PM »
        Thanks for the suggestions.  
        Under configuration, it says audio support enabled.
        The sound card has imprinted on it:  CT2960.  When I go to driverguide.com to find a driver, the link takes me to creative drivers.  (I also went to the creative site to try.)  I save the file on the desktop.  Extract the files to a folder on C.  Open device manager, try to install the driver by browsing to the location I extracted the file and I get:  Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

dxdiag in run gives the following message: cannot find the file dxdiag.  Make sure the filename and the path are correct and that all required libraries are available.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 04:05:28 PM »
        Open device manager, try to install the driver by browsing to the location I extracted the file and I get:  Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

There's the problem.

What type of files are there extracted?

If is an .exe, it can not be found by the device manager.

Zo

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 05:04:42 PM »
        We may be getting somewhere.  There is no volume icon.  When I go to prog. acc. entertainment. volume, nothing comes up.

Raptor

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 05:17:49 PM »
        We may be getting somewhere.  There is no volume icon.  When I go to prog. acc. entertainment. volume, nothing comes up.

I asked you a question.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 07:16:02 PM »
        dxdiag in run gives the following message: cannot find the file dxdiag.  Make sure the filename and the path are correct and that all required libraries are available.

The Windows 98 DXDIAG.EXE utility should be in the C:\WINDOWS\System folder.  You may browse to that folder using Windows Explorer or My Computer and double-click on DXDIAG.EXE to start it.  It's represented by a purple circle with a yellow X through it.

The utility will test the DirectSound capability once Raptor helps you install the correct drivers, or otherwise fix your problem. 

Regards,
        Doc

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 07:19:34 PM by pcdoc4christ »

GX1_Man

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 11:53:20 PM »
        Thanks for the suggestions.  
        Under configuration, it says audio support enabled.
        The sound card has imprinted on it:  CT2960.  When I go to driverguide.com to find a driver, the link takes me to creative drivers.  (I also went to the creative site to try.)  I save the file on the desktop.  Extract the files to a folder on C.  Open device manager, try to install the driver by browsing to the location I extracted the file and I get:  Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device.

Personally I don't believe those models used creative sound chips. I believe they were all Crystal Audio (BIG difference). That is why the most important thing is to get the correct driver for the chip. I do not believe you will get the creative driver to work. If there is a sound card present and the onboard sound has not been disabled in the BIOS there will be a conflict there.  

So first, check the BIOS (F1 during boot) to see if there is onboard sound, If so it must be disabled, then you can try to reload the creative drivers. The alternative is to use the onboard sound and remove the audio card). You can also see if there are 2 audio input/outputs on the back of the computer IN ADDITION to those on the sound card.

Post back and let us know

Let us know the outcome.

Zo

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2005, 01:14:49 PM »
        Raptor,
        Sorry I missed your question.  The file is .exe.  Not a driver?  What should the suffix be?  I am very amatuer when it comes to this stuff.

You're correct, GX_1, it is not the sound card that came with the computer.  There is no onboard sound card.  It came with a Sound Blaster CT4170 (which is still 'Creative', isn't it?).  It wasn't working so I swapped it with the same brand that worked in another computer, still no results, so I tried this third, different card.