Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Compact Flash Manufacturers  (Read 3012 times)

agphoto

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Compact Flash Manufacturers
    « on: February 18, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
    Hi, I need to be able to establish without any doubt the manufacturer of compact flash cards to avoid purchasing fakes.  A lot fakes can be established just by looking at the labels, however, some are getting rather good and I understand that the true manufacturer is stated in the root directory.  How do I read this in win 7?  Thanks for any help :)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Re: Compact Flash Manufacturers
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 08:14:39 AM »
    I understand that the true manufacturer is stated in the root directory.

Source ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »
    Even if it was true, which it isn't, why wouldn't the maker of a fake flash card put the ID of a genuine manufacturer there? And how do you check the "root directory" of an unformatted card?

agphoto

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:06:21 PM »
      Thanks to you both.  My source was simply that was what somebody told me.  I don't understand how these things work but I really do need to try and find this information as I've sold cards that I thought were genuine only to be told they weren't and the manufacturer was so and so and not the one on the labels.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
      There is no substitute for learning what you need to know, by doing the necessary research. If you are reselling flash memory devices, you should definitely be doing the necessary diligence. There are many web sites with tips on how to spot fakes, and how to test devices. One program that gets mentioned a lot is h2testw

agphoto

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:32 PM »
        Thanks, I use H2TestW and it is extremely good at rooting out certain types of fakes.  Anything over 2GB will fall over under it's system if it's a fake.  Unfortunately, anything below 2GB will pass muster and as the fakes often have a reasonable to good read/write speed H2TestW reports these speeds and it doesn't make you think you've got a fake.  I can tell most of them on sight, but they are getting better, hence my difficulty.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
        Then don't sell any under 2G's...
        The other thing to consider if you are going to be a re-seller is to research your sources and find out what exactly your providers are selling you...
        Other than that i can't suggest anything else...

If i were going into business doing this that's the approach i would take...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
        Then don't sell any under 2G's...

Yes

if you are going to be a re-seller ... research your sources and find out what exactly your providers are selling you...

Yes again. Making money out of people who trust you brings moral reponsibilities and also, more importantly, legal ones.

If i were going into business doing this that's the approach i would take...

Three times yes!

Anyhow, I always buy my flash memory from Staples, not some guy on the web that I never heard of, for reasons which should (by now) be obvious.