Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Fails to Sleep  (Read 2362 times)

plumsmugler

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Fails to Sleep
    « on: February 22, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »
    Lately my computer has begun this annoying routine that about one in ten times I put my computer into sleep mode it doesn't really fall asleep.  The monitors shut off but the machine is still humming and the power light remains on and will not eventually shut off, it once did it for a whole weekend before I noticed.  I can't get the computer to respond to anything at this point so in order for me to run the machine again I have to do a hard shut off by holding the power button for five seconds and rebooting the PC.  Does anybody have any idea what may be causing this? I posted this in the hardware section but I'm not sure at all what is causing it.  I would certainly like to get this resolved before these hard reboots affect my machine. 

Linux711

Mentor

• Yes
      • Programming Blog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Computer Fails to Sleep
    « Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 01:19:14 PM »
    I think it could be your power setting in the BIOS. When booting your comp enter into the BIOS (if you don't know how google will tell you). Look for something like "Power Settings", "Sleep Mode", or "ACPI" (it is different depending on what comp you have) and change the setting to S3.

See this article for more info: http://gsmblog.com/post/Difference-between-S1-%28POS%29-and-S3-%28STR%29-standby-mode-in-BIOS.aspx
    YouTube

"Genius is persistence, not brain power." - Me

"Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"" - LaVolpe

plumsmugler

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Computer Fails to Sleep
      « Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »
      Thanks!  I'll give it a try and report back if I haven't noticed anything for a while.