Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why is the scan not working?  (Read 3026 times)

Bobh

Why is the scan not working?
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
Hi -
I hope this is the right place for this question.  I am running Vista Home Basic and have a HP Deskjet F340 printer.  When I press the scan button nothing happens.  The manual says that the HP Photosmart Software must be installed and running.  I have HP Photosmart Essential listed twice in the "All Programs" list.  I assume this is the same as HP Photosmart Software.  I can not figure out how to make sure it is running.  The manual also says to make sure that the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon is in the Windows system tray.  It is.  In fact there are two of them.
What I have tried.  I tried to delete all HP programs but could not.  I then reinstalled the HP printer programs and that seemed to work.  However, At the last step I got a pop down panel which said:
     TrayApp
     The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.     

Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "TrayApp.msi" in
     the box below.

Since I am not on a network, I clicked on "Cancel".
Any help will be appreciated.    Bob

GlitchPC

Re: Why is the scan not working?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »

Bobh

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:25:36 PM »
GlitchPC -
Thanks for your reply.  I am not very smart about computers so the answer did not help me.  I could not follow the instructions as I could not get the correct things to come up on my computer.  I will just forget trying to scan anything.  I have had this computer for 5 years and I have never needed to scan anything so I guess I have not missed much.  Thanks again.  Bob

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:48:51 PM »
I think you should remove all HP printer software and reinstall from the CD ...

GlitchPC

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »
Bobh,

You're welcome.  Raptor is correct, by the way.  Instructions for HP's software program removal were also included in that link I sent you toward the bottom of the page.

However, you stated...and I quote:

I tried to delete all HP programs but could not.

What did you try...you weren't very specific here.

I could not follow the instructions as I could not get the correct things to come up on my computer.

What things?  Again...you're not being very specific.  If you can't provide us with enough details...then we may not be able to help you.

Please...try to be as specific as possible.

Bobh

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 04:32:27 AM »
Raptor -
I went to "start" then to "control Panel" then to "Programs and Features" which I opened.  This gave me a "Uninstall or change a program" page.   The first program listed for HP was "HP Customer Participation program 8.0". When I tried to delete it nothing happened.  Seems like HP was forcing me to participate wheather I wanted to or not.  Since I could not get rid of the first one I did not try any other HP program.
I tried to use HP's forum, which was hard to use, but never got an answer.
Thanks for your interest in my problem.    Bob

Bobh

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:34:26 AM »
GlitchPC -
Thanks for your reply.  I will get back to you later today.    Bob

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:02:17 AM »
Raptor -
I went to "start" then to "control Panel" then to "Programs and Features" which I opened.  This gave me a "Uninstall or change a program" page.   The first program listed for HP was "HP Customer Participation program 8.0". When I tried to delete it nothing happened.  Seems like HP was forcing me to participate wheather I wanted to or not.  Since I could not get rid of the first one I did not try any other HP program.
I tried to use HP's forum, which was hard to use, but never got an answer.
Thanks for your interest in my problem.    Bob

Try this: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=mp-24061-2

I don't recall the tool being this outdated (2005) but I do recall it working well.

Bobh

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 09:52:04 AM »
Raptor -
I don't know what I did wrong.  I ran the tool you gave me.  I ran it to level 4 and rebooted as instructed.  I then looked at the  "programs and Features" and there were the HP programs.  I had not reinstalled the software as the tool said I would have to.  It is things like that which makes me want to toss this thing out the window.   Thanks    Bob

GlitchPC

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »
Revo Uninstaller...  Google it.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
Raptor -
I don't know what I did wrong.  I ran the tool you gave me.  I ran it to level 4 and rebooted as instructed.  I then looked at the  "programs and Features" and there were the HP programs.  I had not reinstalled the software as the tool said I would have to.  It is things like that which makes me want to toss this thing out the window.   Thanks    Bob

HP makes reliable equipment but horrible software.

It could be that the uninstall tool is simply too outdated. Try REVO uninstaller to get rid of remaining programs.

Bobh

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
Raptor -
GlitchPC -
I thank you both for your efforts, however I am going to abandon this project.  I got the HP installed (REVO worked good) and reinstalled.  Now the HP Digital Imaging Monitor will not come up even though I have it checked for a starting program.  It did it before and I don't know why it doesn't do it now.  With all your time and my hassle it just is not worth going forward.
Thanks again.  We will call it done.    Bob

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »
Did you install all the software that came with the printer? The Photosmart Essentials is pretty much optional, it's the maintenance panel and scanning driver/software (or whatever they call it) that reacts to the scan button.