Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound card installation question  (Read 2465 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Sound card installation question
    « on: February 27, 2012, 03:28:23 PM »
    I have a new question to ask.  What I need to know is, is this a good idea?  My newest computer has four PCI-E slots, the top two taken up by my NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti, and I want to have Geek Squad at Best Buy install a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-E card into the bottommost slot.  Would the fan of the graphics card get sufficient space so that the card would not overheat?  Would leaving the cover of the slot second from bottom help any?

Raptor

Re: Sound card installation question
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
    By now you'd figure that with all the projects you've been running you'd at least know how to install a soundcard yourself.

You should install it as far away from the videocard as possible. The less you obstruct your videocard fan, the better the airflow.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:10:57 PM »
      What you are saying is true.  However, if I want to have the card installed, we're having Geek Squad do it.  Why?  Card installation is covered by their warranty.  Next Monday I'll find out from them if it is feasible.

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »
      What you are saying is true.  However, if I want to have the card installed, we're having Geek Squad do it.  Why?  Card installation is covered by their warranty.  Next Monday I'll find out from them if it is feasible.

What if they damage something to the point where it will still function but break down a few months after the installation? Bam. Hard drive failure. It's not like they care, they'll cover it up and pretended nothing happened. Good luck trying to prove they broke something. Never been to this Geek Squad place but I  wonder if they wear cotton clothing, know not to touch the connectors and if they wear a wrist strap every time they do something?

Of course, if you are totally new to slapping in expansion cards you could have a complete stranger do it for you. After all, that's how I make a living.