Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: corrupted emails  (Read 7931 times)

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

corrupted emails
    « on: February 28, 2012, 12:52:12 AM »
    Some Yahoo emails I have sent to a group have had appended messages corrupted by the insertion of numerous returns. These emails have not been corrupted when sent to other groups.

Raptor

Re: corrupted emails
    « Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:18:35 AM »
    Shouldn't you notify Yahoo of that?

Or are you looking for a fix? There are no question marks which make it a statement, you see...

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 05:05:23 AM »
      Raptor, thanks for that comment. Yes, I am looking for a fix as the group manger rejects the corrupted emails. I had corruption problems some time ago. I then tried sending the emails with appended emails by Outlook Express, with the same result. Originally a corruption problem occurred when I drafted emails in Word. Characters were inserted that made the emails hard to read. So I changed over to using Draft in Yahoo Mail. That avoids corruption of my messages. The latest problems have occurred when I use the Forward procedure in Yahoo Mail. As you can have gathered, I have had a mix of corruption of email problems. I would like to know what I am doing wrong!

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 05:24:14 AM »
      Ah, that makes more sense.

I believe this is due to you trying to compose messages in HTML (rich text) format. I had the same problem when conversing with someone that used a Gmail account, all the old emails would just be tightly packed together and chat history would become unintelligible.

Try composing them in plain text only.

I have no idea how to do that in Outlook, though. I use Thunderbird where you can either compose a message in plain text or tell Thunderbird a recipient always wants to receive plain text.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
        Thank you, Raptor. I use Yahoo Mail. I have just changed it to compose in plain text. That should solve my problem. I will only post again if it does not work.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:25:01 AM »
          After changing the Yahoo Mail option to plain text, I forwarded an email with an input email attached  to the group where I have had the problem. The attached section was again corrupted by insertion of numerous returns. The manager of the group rejected the email again and has no idea why it is occurring.

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 04:30:17 AM »
          Hmm.... And you're using the Yahoo email interface, right? There's really not much you can do other than sending rich text or plain text email.

What did you mean by "input email attached"?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
            The problem seems to occur when I read an incoming email and decide to forward it to the Yahoo group together wit my comment on the incoming email which is appended below my comment. It is this appended text that is corrupted in the version received at the Yahoo group. The version that is received at other groups is not corrupted.

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:32 AM »
            The version that is received at other groups is not corrupted.

So it only happens to the group admin on Yahoo?

Could you forward this email to yourself and see if the corruption also takes place?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 05:56:16 PM »
              I have sent the email to other groups without getting an corruption. I have advised the moderator of the group that the problem occurs only with emails sent to his group. He has not come up with any answers.

Raptor

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 04:17:00 AM »
              I have sent the email to other groups without getting an corruption. I have advised the moderator of the group that the problem occurs only with emails sent to his group. He has not come up with any answers.

It sounds like the problem is on his end, indeed.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »
                I have received an email that was forwarded to me that had the post appended corrupted in the same way as my problem emails. So the problem is not with that particular Yahoo group. Others are having problems with other forms of corruption of emails. For example images arrive as empty boxes with a symbol in the top left hand corner.

Raptor

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 03:19:39 PM »
                What type of file is being attached?

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
                  An email, call it E, was sent to the group G so appeared in my inbox.  I drafted a reply to E and hit Forward to send my reply with E appended below it to group S with cc G. The email sent to S was not corrupted while the version that arrived at G was and the moderator rejected it and advised me of why.

denisaf

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 04:52:35 AM »
                    None of my emails in recent days have been corrupted but I have seen others with line feeds inserted and/ or spurious characters. Others on the lists I use have complained on occasions but I have not seen any answers as why and when it can occur.

Raptor

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 04:59:17 AM »
                    That's good to hear! I was sort of clueless on this matter, me not using Yahoo and you having tried HTML and simple text.

Did you try asking Yahoo, by the way?