Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Proxy Server settings change during web serfing  (Read 4542 times)

WalterLes

Proxy Server settings change during web serfing
« on: September 14, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »
I have two problems, one regarding my Home Page(MSN) and the second is a Proxy Server setting.
re: the Home Page. The window reachs the 2 items remaining and does not reach the done notation. This does not appear to be too much of a problem , more of an annoyance.
re:Proxy Server. My computer is a stand alone- no Lan settings (I think).  The computer operates normally and I can visit several web sites until I receive the "This page cannot be shown---" message.
When I go to the Internet Options/Lan settings, the Proxy Server option has been changed and is now marked. The default Proxy Server option is unmarked on bootup.
I don't know what is changing this setting while i am web surfing. This is getting very tiring. I've search KB's and read various forum question/answers hoping to find an answer to this problem. Can someone help?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Proxy Server settings change during web serfin
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:05:53 PM »

WalterLes

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 12:49:50 AM »
    Sorry.This problem has been bugging me and I should have included that I have AVG,Spybot and AdAware. I have not found the answer there.

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 01:53:11 AM »
      Decide which thread you want to keep open, then go to the other thread & leave a message advising the thread remain unanswered so it can fade away into cyberspace.
      Much better results will be achieved.

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:26:53 AM »
        OK, this is the thread.

I asked you to click on the links above because I had no idea what if any virus & spyware protection & scanners you have or if they are up to date.

I've found not all scanners find all problems but if you get through Panda (online up to date) then you are probably clean.

Ewido is another very aggressive scanner but you need to read the screens because if you blindly click delete you may remove one of your own 'toys'.

No doubt you also have Hijackthis but did you know that proxies show up in the Hijackthis logfile?

If Panda gives you a clean bill of health then run Hijackthis and look for proxies.

Do you run your Spybot Teatimer locking down IE?

What Operating System?
        W2k or XP then you should download, update & run Microsoft Antispyware too. It's a very good program.

Do you have a Firewall?

WalterLes

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 08:18:42 PM »
        Thank you FED for your input. I now have a definite direction to procede instead of wandering around aimlessly. I will post the results of my adventure when I have something to report. Again, thank you.

Fed

• Sage
          « Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 11:31:53 PM »
          It's good to start problem solving with a clean level playing field.  :)