Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about installing programs on 2 Hard Drives.  (Read 3126 times)

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Question about installing programs on 2 Hard Drives.
    « on: February 29, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
    I want to install some of my programs to another hard drive because of lack of space, but I have a question about backing up. I use a backup program called Acronis, which I use to make a copy of my OS hard-drive. I am wondering if i back up as i normally do and place programs on a second drive, if i will have problems if say the programs I install corrupt in some way? What I mean is do programs normally corrupt in the registry, or can they corrupt anywhere? I don't want to  have to make a backup of my second HD if i don't need to, I would prefer to save space.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Question about installing programs on 2 Hard Drives.
    « Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »
    I don't understand the question. You will need to create images of each hard drive with True Image if you want everything "backed up".

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
    • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
      « Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
      I don't understand the question. You will need to create images of each hard drive with True Image if you want everything "backed up".

I was hoping I could get away with just backing up the Drive windows 7 is installed to. I am asking when a program corrupts if it's normally in the registry or is it due to it's files and folders, or both?

Allan

• Mastermind
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 02:44:24 PM »
      There no such thing as "when a program corrupts".  I honestly don't know what you're asking - programs do not normally "corrupt".

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
      • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
        « Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
        There no such thing as "when a program corrupts".  I honestly don't know what you're asking - programs do not normally "corrupt".

So why do some programs stop working then? What causes that?

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:55:45 PM »
        So why do some programs stop working then? What causes that?

Because the files the programs are made up of corrupt. Bad sectors, bad RAM, processor miscalculation, some files not being updated because they're not closed or readable at the moment... Take your pick.

So yeah, programs do "corrupt" and I'm not sure why Allan says they don't.
        The Windows registry hive could become damaged if the file it resides in becomes damaged.

I'm not entirely sure how data corrupting relates to you only backing up your C drive but there's no real way to predict what "part" of a program is going to be damaged. Just make sure your hard drives are healthy (Hard Disk Sentinel), that you diagnose your RAM when you notice your computer produces errors during CRC checks (Memtest86) and that your fans are kept clean to minimise the effect of heat on IC's.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
        • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
          « Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
          Thanks Raptor, I think I will backup both drives just to be on the safe side. I already had the feeling that the program files can become corrupted anywhere, but just making sure because I wasn't entirely sure. Thanks!!

Salmon Trout

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:44:38 PM »
          So yeah, programs do "corrupt" and I'm not sure why Allan says they don't.

Possibly because Allan is fluent in English and understands the difference between "corrupting" and "becoming corrupted". He is correct in stating that programs do not corrupt themselves. The reasons why a program might "stop working" are numerous and corrupted data on a hard drive is only one possible cause. A computer system is a complex interdependent entity consisting of hardware and software (operating system and programs) and oversimplified notions of how they work (and fail to work) are only too common, unfortunately.

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
          • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
            « Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:30:20 AM »
            Possibly because Allan is fluent in English and understands the difference between "corrupting" and "becoming corrupted". He is correct in stating that programs do not corrupt themselves.

We all make mistakes that's why we put rubbers on pencils and bumpers on cars. Sorry for my bad English, but my problem is now solved.