Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer monitor problem  (Read 3681 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

computer monitor problem
    « on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »
    Hi  to everyone,

My 4 yr. old computer monitor just starting having this problem.  When I start my computer, the monitor will briefly come on and then go to a black screen.  I have to push on/off the monitor power  button 4-5 times before the monitor will stay on, each time it goes to a black screen.  Is this anything that can be fixed?  Does this probably mean the monitor is about to die?  Once after 4-5 attempts at turning it on, it stays on and everything looks good and works fine.  What is the average life span for a monitor used for home use.  I have checked all cables, connections and everything is plugged in and tight. Is the on/off power button starting to wear out?

Thanks,
    beachguy

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Re: computer monitor problem
      « Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
      Sorry, forgot some of the basics.  Computer is only 7 months old, OS-  Windows 7 Home Premium, and as mentioned, the monitor is 4 yrs old. Reading over some of the similar posts on this kind of problem, I read that some people want to know if the graphics card has gone bad and that Windows 7 will display a message if that has happened.  I have not gotten any message like that.  I am assuming that is not the problem on a new computer.
      Thanks again,
      beachguy

GlitchPC

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
      Just try the monitor on another computer.  If you get the same issues...it's a monitor problem and probably not the video card on the computer.  However...it could be a cabling issue.  Try checking the cables to see if they are loose, frayed, or have bad connections.

By the way...is this a Flat Panel, or CRT monitor?

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
        It is a flat panel and all cables/wires are connected and tight.

GlitchPC

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »
        Did you test it on another PC?

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:45:47 PM »
          I will have to try that when I can get to another desktop, which we don't have.  I am wondering, is there any kind of program that I could download that could run a test on the overall functioning of a monitor to determine if its components are all working correctly or would point to areas that are starting to fail on the monitor.  Or, is it pretty much accepted that once things start to act up on 4 yr. monitor, it is just time for a replacement?

GlitchPC

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:51:35 PM »
          Like all hardware...over time, they just give out.  I've had monitors that have lasted quite some time.  It depends on the manufacturer, stress and the environment the monitor is subjected to.

Take a look here:  PassMark Monitor Testing software

You can trial that software free...for 30 days.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:15 PM »
            I don't like to leave things just hanging.  The monitor got worse, it now took up to pushing the monitor on/off button  ten times before it would stay on.  The monitor would try to come on and instantly go to a black screen.  Google searches showed that the most likely problem on this LCD monitor was the backlight and/or the inverter starting to fail and in this case getting worse day by day.  There were videos showing how to take the monitor apart, replace the parts after ordering them and waiting for them to come in.  I decided not to go that route. I bought a new LED monitor and the problem is gone.  I am surprised that no one on this site even mentioned backlight and/or inverter problems could cause this  problem.  Many of the Google suggestions indicated that this type of repair can be done, but the time it takes and the expense involved probably doesn't make it worthwhile for most people. It is just as worth it to replace the failing monitor.  Hope this helps anyone else who has a monitor that is not working properly and starting to fail.

beachguy

GlitchPC

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 06:46:52 PM »
            Granted...inverters and/or backlights go bad and are replaceable...and as you said...you Googled your issue and got a possible answer to your issue.

Oh...we can say..."It's probably this...and probably that"....but, that's just guesswork.  Your last post requested software...and that's what I supplied you....yet, you waited a week for a reply.

I'm glad you have a new monitor....hopefully, it gives you many years of enjoyment.